SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

deciding between the gritty mix and the 511

greentoe357
10 years ago

I am organizing my research and thoughts on the topic. Have some questions, but also hope the table below and the discussion will help others. I just recently tried the 5-1-1 mix and like it very much, but I wonder what I am missing by not using the gritty mix instead or in addition. I grow decorative house plants in pots sized anywhere from yogurt cups to 10' in diameter. I am a beginner, so the mix being fool-proof when it comes to over/under-watering is important.

Check out how I understand these two mixes compare:
http://tinyurl.com/kk2435a.

I welcome your further thoughts, especially if you see something I missed or if you disagree.

The footnotes are:

(1) I read somewhere that because gritty mix particles are more abrasive, it encourages plants to grow more finer roots (vs 511 mix) as they push their way through the mix. Is it true, and if so, does the gritty mix help plant vitality?

(2) a question on versatility of each of the mix. Ideally, I'd like to deal with one mix only going forward. My apartment is relatively generously-sized, but storing and mixing components for both of the mixes is a bit too much to keep doing on an ongoing basis. Which one of the two mixes would you choose if you were me? What kinds of plants would especially miss the other mix?

This post was edited by greentoe357 on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 17:20

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH