SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
llbean_gw

Looking for ideas: Need to please Hubby

llbean
16 years ago

Hi. I am posting to ask for some professional help, advise or anything that anyone has to offer.

I live on a lake, I have a nice side lot that is all shade except the very front which is next to our dirt road. The lake side of our home faces West and starts to heat up around 3:00ish, due to our neighbors large trees.

I have been wanting to landscape the backyard for some time now. My husband and I put in a flower bed using the flex plastic border against our neighbors fence where he has these Rose of Sharon trees, I thought that this would prove to be a great spot to grow some daylilies and bright flowers to spice up my back yard, making it a place where I wanted to hang out.

So here leads to my two problems:

My neighbor has a chainlink fence that is between the two of us. Because he can't get behind the Rose of Sharon trees to weed wack there is all this long ugly grass that is showing. He also has creeping Charlie that has managed to sneak into my beds. My husband won't put in a wood fence panel because we can't aford to put it all the way around his fence. So my flowers are overshadowed by all this long grass peeking through the Chains. It looks awful. I even clipped it with Scissors once.. Many blisters later I regrettd that, it grew with a vengence. Secondly, our sprinkler runs along the chain fence so I can't really put a wood panel in anyway.

So I was trying to thik of ways to make a raised bed that mimicked the curvey lines in the current design that we have, but 2 x 4's just don't make great curves. I want to move my flowers and make a raised vegetable bed for my 4 year old who enjoys gardening.

Last year we used that front spot by the rode to gow a 600 pound Atlantic Dill and some Cukes and Bell peppers, but there is 1. not enough Warm sun (9-12:30) and second the rode commision to keep down dust uses some oil stuff that ended up all over the peppers, not really organic.

Here in Xone 5 we have a short season anyway, but I don't want to squash my son's enjoyment of gardening. I want veggies and I can't afford to clear the half acre of diseased maple trees (they get awful black spots on the leaves in summer), to create enough sun away from the rode.

I have looked at

bamboo to cover the fence to about 4 feet, and then create beds, but I would have one bed, the same height the full lengeth of the fence.

I have looked into Timber logs and cutting them and placing themin the ground at varied heights, but again $$ and not sure I can do it alone.

ANY thought you might have would really help this mother keep the spark of gardening alive in her little one, plus ease some frusturation!!

Thanks

Laura

Comments (4)