SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Please help with foundation planting design!

Stacey Collins
17 years ago

Hello gardeners,

Here is the challenge I am facing: redesign our front foundation planting for under $150; must be extremely low maintenance; must blend with existing nearby perennial beds.

9 years ago when we bought our house, I dug out and planted perennials and roses in the front yard. It was a fun and ever-changing project for 6 years; then we went on a 2-year sailing trip and rented the house out. Of course, the perennial beds were in sad shape when we returned last spring. Of the 3 glorious David Austin roses only one is still in good shape. I may not be able to save the other two.

I have 3 summers to garden here until we leave for another -longer- sailing voyage and rent the house out again. It seems like I should put my energies into making the front yard look great with minimum maintenance, since renters rarely garden, and we will likely want to sell the house when we return 5 years later.

The house is a 1920's builder house with an ugly concrete-block foundation that I'd like to hide. The roses did a good job of this in season, but it always looked bare in winter (Maine winters are LONG) so I'd like to take that into consideration.

Ideally, I'd like to keep the David Austin that's doing well, at the corner of the foundation. I'd also like to include some perennials in front of whatever shrub-things I use on the foundation, to tie into the nearby perennial beds.

Right now, the bed is about 3' wide (I know, too narrow, but it really can't be changed much!) by about 15'. There's a big window in the middle, about 5' up, that I don't want to cover. The left end is up against the porch steps; the right end is the corner of the house, and that's where the big, tall, bushy David Austin rose is. Right now, the bed contains two other DA roses, Russian Sage, Nepeta (under the big rose), Hardy geraniums, Shasta Daisies, a Hollyhock that volunteered there last summer and I was too soft to pull out, and a front edging of little wild strawberries. I'd love to keep some of these plants, so maybe just a few shrubby things (?????????????) to mix in????? What foundation-covering, compact shrubs lok good with roses and perennials?????

Across a ribbon of lawn is a long bed which parallels the street and contains peonies, daisies, yarrow, white phlox, echinacea, sedum Autumn Joy, coeopsis and foxgloves. Not too inspired, but last summer I ripped out everything high-maintenance as I am trying to make that bed "renter-friendly" as well.

I will try to figure out how to post photos or diagrams to make this more clear.

So: what I am trying to accomplish is to hide the foundation in winter a bit more -if possible- and to find some very low-maintenance plants that will blend well with the existing perennials.

I just cannot think of ANYTHING that will do the foundation-hiding job while still reatain the sort of informal perennial garden look of the rest of the plantings. Perhaps there is no answer!

Any ideas much appreciated.....

Stacey

Comments (12)