SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessicamogus

Help with Foundation Garden Design

Hello! I’m looking for landscape advice for our front foundation garden. We have a large bed to the right of our front porch. I’m new to gardening and I’m realizing now that the way we laid out the design isn’t ideal...everything is in rows vs. groups and we planted in even numbers. Everything I’m reading now says planting in groups and odd numbers will be more pleasing to the eye for a natural vs. formal feel, which is what I’m drawn to. I’m just struggling now with how to rearrange the plants to get this effect? Note I’m planing little lime hydrangeas along the back wall to get height and texture more quickly.

Some ideas I have:
- Line the back wall with little lime hydrangeas to create a hedge.
- Place three of the yellow/green shrub (kaleidoscope abelia) in a ring in front of the crape myrtle tree.
- Move the purple shrubs (ever red loropetalum) in a grouping toward the left around the white lattice so they pop more.
- Move the dark green shrubs (bronze beauty clyera) currently along the back into a grouping of three on the right somewhere...not sure how to accomplish this well.
- Keep the azaleas flanking each side of the porch steps.
- Eventually fill in some of the remaining open space with perennial and annual flowers.

Comments (5)