SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
akahn_gw

New foundation garden help - cornus alternifolia?

akahn
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on GardenWeb, I hope this is the appropriate forum.

I'm starting to plan for planting on this West-facing side of my house. My goals are for a low-maintenance wild/native bed, influenced by the ideas of Ricke Darke and Doug Tallamy. Basically a micro-meadow and woodland garden all mashed into this tiny space, hoping to attract birds and insects. I'm thinking wildflowers as well as viburnum/oakleaf hydrangea. I don't have it much more fleshed out than that yet. ;)

I'm looking for feedback on placing a small tree in the corner at left the attached image. I'm thinking of Alternate-leaf dogwood, for its flowers and berries, plus shade and privacy screening for the leftmost window in the photo. The two leftmost windows are my office, and I could use more privacy from people walking by on the street (hence the shade being drawn on the other window, that one actually needs screening even more). Anyways, does this seem like a suitable choice and a suitable placement? The bed is 10 feet deep from the foundation to the pavement. I've read that this species can grow 20 feet wide -- problem, or manageable with pruning? Note that under the snow pile at the left of the photo is a small peony.

I'm also a little concerned that this design would feel a little too "bookended" by having a small tree in that corner and then 25 feet away a similar sized tree (a crabapple), with some flowers/shrubs in between. I'm worried that it might seem a little too symmetrical. Does this seem like a reasonable concern or no?

Any feedback on how to design this space is welcome. Right now in the bed some yarrow, wild carrot and rudbeckia grows, I'd like to fill it with a lot more.

Comments (11)