SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
superneice

safety over beauty-need ideas, sloping front walk for 3 elderly

superneice
16 years ago

I have 3 aunts that now live together in one house on Long Island. The owner is 99 and bedridden and the youngest aunt, 89, takes care of her and the middle aunt, 92. Only the youngest aunt, 89, drives. The house is about 40 years old, has had minimal to no upgrades and my first priority is safety for the 89 year old aunt who is responsible for the other two.

The original path from the front porch to the driveway was black-top asphalt (as is the driveway). It was almost compeltely covered with grass and last summer I dug up the grass to reveal the original path. I'd say the length of the path is about 30-40 feet and the slope drops about 10-15 feet over that distance.

My aunt does not want any steps so now the question is, what would be the best choice for the walkway. I understand concrete would crack but that is a choice we could contract. My husband and I are thinking about "do it yourself" paver solution, which would probably look the best but we want to make sure that whatever choice we make will be safe for the next 10-15 years (my grandmother, the aunt's mother, lived to be 98. The walkway should not be slippery in the rain - if it snows, they would go down the cellar stairs to the garage but we should also consider a surface that could withstand an occasional winter snow shoveling as well as ice and salting/sand. I would also try to convince the aunts they need a hand rail - not the most asthetically pleasing - but really needed for safety. The handrail would probably need to be removed when the house is finally sold.

Any advice?

Concrete seems like the most obvious option, but what should we expect with respect to cracking (how dee, would it be unsafe, and can it be prevented or safely repaired?) Many of the neighborhood's original front walks are in concrete.

Pavers would be nice, something we could do ourselves and maintain over time, but can snow be easily shoveled away and what kind would be the most safe (least slippery, least bumpy)?

Blacktop asphalt did not appeal to them asthetically.. but I would be interested in hearing the pros and cons. The driveway will be completely re-done in black asphalt.

Comments (8)