SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forever_now

3cm quartz countertop overhang needs supported over 10"?

Forever Now
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Just had the fabricator come by to measure our newly installed island for the countertop. We are going with LG Viatera Rococo in 3cm. According to the LG Viatera's website at 3 cm assuming at least 2/3rds of the countertop is supported the you can have up to a 14" overhang without support. The base depth is 35.5" There will be legs attached to all four corners that will come out an additional 1.5", though they are mostly decorative. I am going through Home Depot for this, and he is saying that the store requires it. In our area I had HD and one other option and unfortunately they were literally twice the price for the same product. I would have gone with them if it were just a few hundred more just for the service. I'm sure HD does fine for the most part, but I'm just not surprised to be running up against this. Just annoyed. I am going to try to talk to them about it tomorrow, but not expecting a lot of budge from a big box store and as much as I hate it, its still much cheaper than my only other option. However, I would like some opinions about the true necessity of the support. They want to charge $100 per support bracket (the flat steel kind) which just seems ridiculous to me. We could certainly install those ourselves for much, much less. This is what we will do unless there is some true cause for concern with a 12" overhang on this island? It seems like the 29"x 21" sink cutout will be taking out a large chunk of weight on the front side as well, unless perhaps that is less area that is adhered causing a problem?

Here is a picture of the island. Naked (no legs or panels/doors) is measures 74.5"x35.5", we were ordering a 78.5" x 49.5" slab to give .5" to 1.25" overhang off the sides, legs and doors, and a 12" overhang off the back. Given this configuration and 3cm quartz am I right to assume any additional support is somewhat redundant?

Comments (14)