SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
golddust

Activities for elderly. Ideas needed

golddust
11 years ago

I know there is a Caregivers forum but when I went there, it seemed more of a support group for caregivers ho were pulling their hair out.

Mom is pushing 89. She shuffles her feet, has balance problems and low muscle tone. It's difficult for her to get out of a chair. She has short term memory issues, often asking the same question 3 or 4 times in a 5 minute period.

Still she wants to be productive and frequently offers to help do things like vacuum (balance), put laundry away upstairs (still can't work her stair lift by herself or carry a laundry basket once she gets up there). You get my drift. She offers to do things here that she has been unable to do at her house for years. It would be crazy irresponsible of me to have her vacuum.

She sets the dinner table if she is awake, makes her bed and helps fold laundry (smaller items) but I'm having a hard time finding things for her to do around the house and she often says that she feels useless. I feel guilty when she says that.

I bought her 'Word Find' books that she is enjoying. I drug out my pot holder loom but she could not understand the weaving nor does she have the fine motor strength to weave the loops in and out... I bought some acid free photo albums, thinking she could sort her family photos and preserve them. No interest.

I'm thinking of rug hooking but the kits are so stupid looking unless you spend good money and I don't know if she would enjoy it. She used to sew but has no history of needle crafts, etc.

Any ideas on what I can try to occupy her time or how to make her feel like she is contributing?

Comments (37)