SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
_philosopher_

repost of resized design option photos

philosopher
16 years ago

Hi--the resized design option photos for my all-too-familiar-by-now front yard are attached. My objective with the foundation planting is to lend some formality to the casual groundcover patchwork that comprises the remainder of the front yard. One option shows the deciduous tree on the left, and the other shows the evergreen. The white dots on the rightmost shrub are to show that it would be a flowering shrub. The garden faces eastward and gets at least 4 hours of sun per day, although that rightmost, flowering shrub would be in mostly shade because of how its tucked into the corner of the yard next to the house/porch.

I would love your comments regarding the two options, as follows:

- which option do you prefer?

- do I have scale/size correct? if not, how would you tweak?

- what are your cultivar recommendations? My part of Milwaukee (westward, away from the lake) is generally zone 5a, but this microzone is probably at least 5b/6a because of its proximity to the brick house. I am thinking a unique chamaecyparis for the evergreen option, which is the one I prefer at this stage, if only because I am not very knowledgable about deciduous ornamental trees.

- finally, any changes to the general design plan?

Thanks, as always, for your thoughtful comments.

deciduous option

{{gwi:21977}}

evergreen option

{{gwi:21978}}

Comments (9)