SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scarletsimple

New and excited but nervous!

scarletsimple
12 years ago

Hi there everyone! I am a very new and aspiring gardener and I was looking for some advice (and maybe enthusiasm!).

I live in Maryland, Baltimore City to be exact and the west side of my house is the only side I have to have any kind of garden on. I also have a very, very tiny postage stamp of a yard (though my grandmother used to grow a few vegetables and watermelon in it) so I will be going with container gardening. I have already gotten a little excited and bought seeds before doing quite enough research but I have been reading a lot. I need to get started but I am feeling a touch unorganized!

I am planning on herbs, tomatoes (roma, which I have been reading here might be a mistake to pot and Best Boy Hybrids), Zucchini, habaneros, bell peppers, and carrots (I bought danvers half long seeds and I am considering a second variety). I am also planning to pot some raspberries, strawberries and maybe blackberries (separately). I was thinking about adding peas. A friend is begging me to order and pot a gooseberry plant. I haven't ever even tasted them so good idea/bad idea?

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or important things I might overlook as a beginner? Potting soil brands you can recommend etc?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me! Sorry if any of this is similar to questions that I'm sure you are asked pretty often. I did some searches, but I guess I'm nervous!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz