SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolinagardendawg

Permatill in Al's 5:1:1 Mix...

carolinagardendawg
15 years ago

Al and others...I'm planning to make the switch to your mix for my container-grown tomatoes and squash (and wife's container ornamentals) and have located several sources for MOST of the materials in bulk (I'll need several yards so bags from garden center is likely not feasible)...for some reason none of them have perlite. They all have a coarse sand (creek/river sand), which measures up to the '1/2 BB to BB size' though there are a few finer grains. And one has 'permatill'. If I understand it correctly, permatill is structurally very similar to perlite, so I feel like it'll be an acceptable sub...however, the aggregate size is very similar to #78/#89 crushed stone. Is this size too large to use as a perlite sub or will it work? I know it's used a lot in roof garden applications for it's light weight and drainage capabilities. Any thoughts about adding the sand, either with permatill or as a permatill/perlite sub? And I've found several sources of stable compost (relatively small-scale commercial producers, I have the analysis sheets which read pretty good to me) and plan to use it in place of the peat...this OK? Thanks guys...glad I found this site, I've enjoyed picking my way through it...looking forward to trying some new tricks this year!

Here is a link that might be useful: Permatill

Comments (3)