SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

One Stubborn Spot to Design

aloha2009
13 years ago

We are struggling with one last very important area of our design. It's a fairly large area in comparison to the rest of the lot but seems to have no use.

We want NO grass

We have a beach with seating for 10+, a patio that will accomadate another 10, and a firepit area that will accomodate another 6, and yet another small area that will accomodate 5...so no need for extra seating.

It's just my DH and I dot not need for play equipment (swings, trampolines, etc).

No desire to have to fuss with a fish pond when we have a no maintence lake to enjoy.

It does need additional stairs (has , needs about 8 more steps) coming from the upper terraced level (which will be almost all xeriscaped). When you arrive at the bottom of the steps, a branch needs to be made to the patio (which will encompass to end of deck post) and another needs to be able to go directly to the lake.

Though we are xeriscaping the backyard, it will be lush with LOTS of plants. We are restricted though with all vegetation must be 36" or less within 30' of the lake (can't restrict neighbors views). For myself this makes it tough to do xeriscaping right. We have dry stacked walls that we are leaving except for adjustments on the forefront wall where it just "dies" off. The rocks on the right of the pic by the sand is the lot line. About 40' is the steps

We can't decide on walkway material. The upper portion will be a woodland feel, which makes us want a crushed gravel, but that doesn't seem the best for steps nor close to the sand. Boardwalk seems too formal and doesn't do curves. The boardwalk would not be good for the "woodland" area but much better for by the beach. We're trying to keep the costs in check and would prefer no more patio but if it really seems to make it all come together we are open. I'm about to hire a landscape designer but I have two brothers out of state who have done extensive outdoor work and they haven't been able to come up with anything either. I'm desperate to get a patio installed as all we have is dirt and mud by the house, but I dont' want to spend the money and it not work for this stubborn spot.

{{gwi:9595}}

Comments (25)