SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Square Foot Gardening / Containers?

kristimama
16 years ago

Hey Al and others,

I'm hoping some of you can share your experiences and opinions on the whole Square Foot Gardening concept. Good, bad, ugly. I just want to understand it all better so I can make an informed decision for my "raised beds". And I REALLY value and trust the knowledge base of folks posting here.

I'm also asking here because the boxes SEEM like a hybrid of a container and "in ground"... since the boxes are often placed right on top of the native soil. And some are literally containers with wood bottoms.

The "Square Foot" approach of bringing in a "perfect" soil appeals to me because I have some challenges with my soil: it's heavily compacted clay, plus I am a little worried about possible contamination issues from a long-time previous owner who was a jeweler and who knows what he tossed in the yard.

Have any of you tried the SFG boxes with Mel's Mix, or Al's Mix, or some variation on the two?

Obviously, the Mel's Mix has much more organic material and is probably heavier than Al's container mix. Which I think is probably OK for in ground applications of veg's that you're turning every 6 months.

I'm not a big fan of peat, and I'm wondering if the bark fines could make a good substitute (in terms of their functionality) for peat?

Thanks for the thoughts, folks!

-kristi

Comments (7)