SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fisheggs_gw

SQ foot container garden ready and waiting...

fisheggs
15 years ago

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while and have really enjoyed reading the posts about what people are doing in their gardens, especially those in warmer climates!

I'm starting my first square foot garden this year, although it's really in containers, not directly on the ground. This is because I wanted to use the only sunny spot in our yard, which is next to a 1.5' to 3' high retaining wall on the side of our driveway. Building a box that high and filling it with soil was going to be expensive, and I was also concerned about leaching from the old landscape timbers used to make the wall. So - we built 2 standalone boxes, 2 foot by 5 foot each, and are going to give those a try. We have TONS of deer, so you'll see some not terribly attractive mesh enclosures in my pictures.

Here is an overview, with my little ikea greenhouse for the tomato seedlings (just out for the morning since it was warm here today):

Here's a view from the back, showing some of the engineering challenges we faced on our steep hillslope:

We stained the outside, not the inside. The trellis (for two tomato plants and 4 squares of sugar snap peas, hopefully) is screwed to the frame in a bunch of spots, and feels pretty sturdy, especially once the chicken wire was attached to three sides to help square off the whole thing. I'll only have access from the driveway side, but that is probably fine and will also make the deer issue a bit easier to mitigate.

We're planting (most seeds from Johnny's):

(in the sunnier of the two boxes)

one square of "Wonder Light" yellow tomatoes

two squares of "Apero" cherry tomatoes

two squares each of "Atitlan" and "Sugar Sprint" sugar snap peas

one square of a yellow husk tomato (like a tomatillo)

two squares of okra

(In the shadier box)

one square of strawberries

two squares of spinach

one square of cilantro

one square of basil

three squares of carrots

two square garlic chives

Of course, then I went and spilled my packet of cilantro over the entire box!!! Fortunately it was easy to pick those big seeds up.

Comments (6)

Sponsored