SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magnoliasouth

Advice on combining square foot gardening with lasagna gardening.

magnoliasouth
16 years ago

I've gardened a bit in the past, but never on a permanent I'm-going-to-garden-all-the-time basis. My knowledge of vegetable gardening is really slim to none. With the exception of growing up with my gardening parents and a one time try of my own gardening resulting in an abnormally large number of beans... long story.

I purchased Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening book and I'm also very interested in lasagna gardening, which reminds me. Is there no forum for lasagna gardening here at gardenweb? I looked but cannot find one. Perhaps I'm just not seeing it.

So my question is how many successful gardeners have combined these two techniques? I ask because I've seen a number of posts where SFG users have had difficulty finding vermiculite or if they have found it, it's terribly expensive and I'm not the least bit interested in such a high expense.

Does anyone have any tips to share? Because I'm new to gardening, I don't have a compost pile and to be honest, even if I weren't new to gardening, I'm not sure I'd maintain one anyway. This is where the lasagna gardening appeal begins to take shape. Laziness is my motto, sad but there it is.

Am I even posting this in the right place? Should I post this in the SFG forum? It's just that I'm new, so I thought it should go here.

Any help, direction or whatever you can offer me is greatly appreciated.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists