SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anchuz

sweet pea and pansies during winter

anchita
17 years ago

Hi, this is going to be my first winter after I've started really gardening, and unfortunately, I'll have to be away for a month and trust my plants to my husband, and then to friends when he is away too. I have a couple of questions about some cool season annuals that I have.

I've grown sweet peas from seed for the first time, and they are about 6-8" long right now. They're in 4" nursery pots. Would they be better off in the ground for the winter (including the period that I'm gone) with mulch and weekly watering, or should I put them in a bigger pot and cover it with frost-cloth/burlap? Or should they absolutely must be brought inside during freezes to survive and flower next spring?

I was planning to have some pansies in large pots (12-14") with bulbs like daffodils and hyacinths underneath. I intend to put mulch on the top and cover these pots with burlap before I leave. They will also receive weekly watering. Will this arrangement be safe enough for them to survive, or should I put them in the ground or in larger pots?

I can place these pots in a somewhat protected location on my patio, but they'll also receive less sun there.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice. My travel is unavoidable, but I also don't want to lose my plants to the winter!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022