SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flowerloveririna

Help with getting rid of sweet pea (and chives)

flowerloveririna
13 years ago

Hi!

So this is my third post on this forum. I've searched for "getting rid of sweetpea" but had no luck... and during my search I've discovered that many people like sweetpea plants. But I don't.

I'm trying to plant a new garden in the back of my house. Just a couple of days ago we replaced a rotting old fence with a new privacy fence so I just let the weeds go rampant in the existing patch of "garden" until the fence was up. It seems the previous owners must've really like sweet pea plants and chives because there's a TON of them. And they're taking over. I don't know what to do. I've been digging relentlessly trying to dig out the sweet pea plant but it's nearly impossible. The roots are so tough and slimy and soooo deep. It's like digging into rock. I'd really like to get rid of it because it's spreading like wildfire and is already creeping into other areas. Ragweeds, other types of weeds and chives are also a huge problem. I've tried to get rid of the weeds there a few times over the last couple of years but they keep growing back.

I'm not a proponent of using round-up or things like that but I'm really at my wits end right now. Every time I dig it up it all just grows back.. Even more!

This is a bad photo but this will give you an idea of what it looks like with all the weeds and the sweetpea and the chives mixed into one ugly mess.

{{gwi:244416}}

So now that the old fence is gone, I'd really like to have a clean slate to work with..

Any advice?

Comments (7)