SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cdejong_gw

Growing Sweet Peas

cdejong
15 years ago

I'm a new gardener and am determined to grow Sweet Peas ever since I used to buy them every year at the flower shops when I lived in Japan. I tried them from seed in pots (what a disaster, I couldn't keep up with them and they were leggy trying to get West living room sun), and this year I started too late to plant the seeds outside. So after calling all around town, I found 1 Bachmans who carried one kind ("Erika's Favorite"). I bought 4 and stripped each one down to one vine each and planted them.

It's the middle of June, they're only 3 feet tall (but growing like crazy). Of course, I'm nervous because 85 degree weather is just around the corner, and I'm assuming I will lose them when it becomes that on a regular basis. If I can get blooms, even just a few, it will motivate me to try again next year. Maybe inside, to start earlier.

THIS YEAR:

1. When would I normally see flowers?

2. Do they have to grow a full 6 feet first?

3. Any special fertilizer I should be giving them?

NEXT YEAR:

4. Where should I get seeds?

5. What should I do next year to enjoy the longest-lived blooms - plant pre-grown from a nursery, plant seeds outside, or start seed inside?

6. If inside with seed, do I build a make-shift grow cart with lights and if so, how?

7. If so, when do I plant the seeds inside?

8. How tall should they get before planting them outside?

9. When should I plant them outside?

1. Is there a nursery anyone knows of that sells pre-grown ones regularly that I can plant outside like I did this year (assuming this would be the best or if not, I need to know where I can go in a pinch)?

Please help, I can't find anyone here who grows them that I can ask these questions to...

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery