SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rutgers1_gw

Newbie here: Teacher wants color in garden all season long

rutgers1
15 years ago

Hello! I spend most of my time on the lawn forums, and I am excited for my first post here!

I have anointed myself the master gardener of the school where I teach. The funny thing is that I really don't know enough to even begin to live up to that title. So, with that in mind, I have been reading up and hoping to expand my knowledge base.

Here is my issue.....There was a barren part of our school property that I decided to overhaul. I trucked in some compost to amend the soil, which was horrible to start with. From there, we split some hostas and planted them in various spots in the area. Now I want to go nuts with color - and I want to do it in a way where we have color from spring through fall. My initial thought was to plant a variety of bulbs to accomplish this goal, but:

1) I am not sure if this is possible

2) I am not sure which ones to buy

3) I am not sure how to plant them so that while one is dying back, another one is shooting up with flowers, etc.

Considering this is not my own property and I don't have a ton of time to spend on it (I already manage several other garden beds on the property, including a vegetable garden), I want to stick to perennials so I don't have to start from scratch each year. That is why bulbs came to mind.

Can someone either answer those questions or point me to a great resource? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting