SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kariabate

Patient, cheap, newbie perennial grower wants to know how long...

kariabate
15 years ago

...it takes for plants from nurseries like Spring Hill to reach their peak? Does it vary from plant to plant?

We are renters with a modest budget, but an overwhelming desire to make our backyard more enjoyable, so I dove in and ordered about 28 shade perennials from Spring Hill today (after I found a great 50% off of everything coupon -- yay!). I know that some people have really bad luck with the mail-order companies, but I have time and patience to spare...so I am hoping for the best.

Here is what I ordered (the numbers apply to the sets, in some cases, so there are actually more plants than what it looks like here)

3 ASTILBE RED FANAL

2 MIXED FOXGLOVE

2 MIXED CALADIUMS

1 AZALEA HARDY DWF RED

1 ORNAMENTAL GRASS GRAB BAG

1 MIXED HOSTA

2 VARIEGATED SNOW ON THE MOUNTAIN/PT

Any ideas on how long before my small backyard should start looking less like a mudpit? :)

Also, any suggestions on what to add to the mix in the future? I am going for warm colors: reds, golds, yellows -- with a lot of greens and whites thrown in too, of course.

I have plenty of hosta from friends and neighbors and I am also going to plant giant sunflowers with my children in one of the few sunny spots in the yard.

I also have a few other shade perennials mixed in...and some ground cover (English Ivy and Vinca, I think?) that was already taking over behind the garage.

I would say that I am an advanced beginner - with probably just enough knowledge to be dangerous -- but not a ton of practical experience. :)

Thanks in advance!

Comments (17)