SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Newbie Brugs grower here.

Andrew Scott
13 years ago

I just started growing brugs this spring and am hoping that someone can give me some help. I had a friend from Vancouver send me cuttings of 'Frosty Pink, and an unk. yellow. They were about 8 inches long and I rooted them in a glass of water. Within a month, I had them planted in pots. I have now transplanted two of the three times and am thinking of planting all three of them into the ground. I realize it is late in the summer but I am not sure what else to do. I have been feeding them with a 9-3-6 fertilizer. At first, I was feeding them at every watering but I have slowed down and feed maybe once a week. Now as I said above, I am new to growing these beautfull tropical bushes but I did read that cuttings that were taken with a "Y", would bloom sooner. Is that true? @ of the three were taken with the "Y". I also read that Dave had said that he puts his into the ground. I was thinking that is what I would do. I am trying to change my front bed from an herb garden with a reblooming Iris border in the back to a Tropicalesque garden. This year I bought a musa 'basjoo' and I was planning on dividing it next year so I can plant 2 more clumps of them. I want to space them far enough apart where I can put my brugs in between the bananas and also I want to sink some of my potted plumerias.

Can someone here tell me what I am doing wrong? I am posting a picture so you can see my 3 brugs. The one in the back is the tallest. This one was a "Y" cutting and this is also the tallest brugs. The one on the left I need to knock out of the pot and seperate the two cuttings. I put 2 together so I could save my pots but the one cutting which also is a "Y" cutting only has grown two spindly branches. The other tall brugs was turning yellow but I suspect it was because it ran out of room for its massive root system. Man, I have never seen a tropical that has grown as fast as these brugs! It even beats out my hardy banana! The other brugs is yellowing. I want to actually sink this one into the ground. Dave also had said that you can plug the holes in the pot and make slits along the sides of the pot and then just plant the whole thing. Maybe this will help with them blooming? I would really like to get flowers this summer. Even if I only ended up with one or two on each brugs. I don't even know which is the yellow unk, and which is the 'Frosty Pink'.

I was also wondering if anyone her has a brugs called Peaches and Cream? Logees greenhouses used to sell it quite a few years ago, and sadly that don't carry it any longer. I bought it when it came out but at the time I didn't know too much about them and it died. If anyone has this brugs, I would really like a cutting. I could possibly do a trade, or I would be willing to pay for it. Actually if anyone has any cuttings they want to get rid of, I would really like a couple more. I want to add orange or another color to the mix to really make my tropicalesque garden nice and vivid. Thankis for any help. I really aprreciate it!

Andrew

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:531308}}

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!