SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juliatallmadge

please help- i've dug my babies up, but how to store?

juliatallmadge
15 years ago

We're in a unique situation-- lost our home to a major house fire last fall. In the next couple of months they will start doing demolition on the property to rebuild. We're going to have to move/relocate most all of the plantings around the house and so got a start on it this past weekend (it made me SO happy to be 'diggin' in the dirt again :)... we moved all our hostas and liriope and bleeding hearts to a neighbor who agreed to "babysit" for the season.... and i dug up almost all of our bulbs-- daffs, tulips, muscari.....

So help me- what to do with these bulbs!-- it broke my heart bc they still had their green tops, which i've left on. right now they are in a bushel basket in the basement of our rental but what should my next step be? Should I sheer the top and put the bulbs in paper bags? Should I try to throw them in the ground somewhere? I even thought of trying to get them all in containers (but there are probably about 200 bulbs all told, if not more). I'm hopeful that building our home will be far enough along by the fall that I could replant them before the ground freezes, but what if we're not yet at that point in building by that time?

As you can imagine, we have so much going on with the fire/rebuilding, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.... but i would be beside myself to lose all "my babies" that i just planted a year and a half ago when we moved in and LOVED watching bloom last year- our first spring in our house. Bad enough that we lost our home, I don't want to lose all my plants!

Thanks in advance, Julia

Comments (3)