SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amy_l45

Does a countertop immediately behind hot range vents crack over time?

Amy L
10 days ago

If anyone has quartz, quartzite or Dekton countertops that are within an inch of the heat vents on the top of a slide-in gas range, I wonder how they have held up over time?
My LG slide-in gas range (photo attached) will be on a kitchen island, with 16 inches of countertop behind it. I realize that the heat vents are located at the top of the range, in the rear, and would be within an inch of the countertop. The heat coming out of these black vents on the top of the range is hot enough to give you a steam burn, and certainly greater than the 250° that I've read it takes to crack quartz. There is an option to install island trim (photo attached), which is about an inch and a half wide, but it's made of metal which of course conducts heat.
Reading all of the posts about quartz backsplashes cracking has alerted me to the concern of quartz cracking from heat, although my island countertop would of course be on a horizontal plane, not vertical like a backsplash. I'm confused because installers are telling me to bring the quartz right up to the vents, so is there something that I'm not understanding? Or is there something that I can do to reduce the concern of quartz cracking?
I would prefer to use quartz if possible because it is the strongest material for my large counter overhangs.

However, due to my concerns about the range vent, I’m now considering quartzite or Dekton. I'm wondering if a quartzite or Dekton countertop would be fine next to these heat vents, or if there would be a concern with thermal shock, where fluctuations in temperature over time create fissures and cracks. I would greatly appreciate hearing people's experiences with countertop immediately behind the hot vents of a gas range, what materials are best and what protections, if any, to put in place.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (8)