SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suru11

Does using CAD cause mistakes?

Suru
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Back in the day when I was in the construction biz, one would hand draw plans on vellum & take them to the blueprinter for prints. When drawing the plans we commonly put one vellum on top of another to make sure things lined up. We also checked deminsions thoroughly. After drawing and erasing and doing the math a million times it seems like one had a really good intuitive feel for the plans and could catch mistakes. With CAD it appears one plan is not checked against another.

With my own plan I drew it on vellum & tried to make every deminsion work out in 2' increments. When I got my CAD plan back from the drafter there were crazy deminsions like 14' - 5 & 3/16". When we started building we found out that the stairs on the basement plan was 2 inches off from their location on the main plan so it was fun laying out the main floor walls to make it all work. I just wonder if the ease of clicking " auto-deminsion" and other auto keys has created a "laxness" in really checking the plans for mistakes. Any thoughts?

Comments (17)