SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
satine_gw

Do you put up a Christmas Tree?

satine_gw
8 years ago

I never thought I would not have a tree but honestly all I can manage would be my artificial table top and It really isn't very attractive even when decorated. I live alone, most likely will not have any visitors and just don't feel like doing it. I will decorate my fireplace, dining table, coffee table and probably a wreath on the front door. It is so much work and I just don't have the stamina. I really miss hosting holiday parties but just can't any longer. Anyway, especially those who live alone, will you be doing a tree? Im not trying to be scrooge here- - I really am looking forward to Christmas.

Comments (67)

• wanda_va
    8 years ago

We have two pop-up Christmas trees, and love them! They are 6' tall, don't take up a lot of space, and are up in less than 2 minutes. One has white lights; the other has colored lights--they are pre-lit and pre-decorated. We've had them for about 8 years, and it's so nice to not fool with light strings, ornaments, etc. It just doesn't seem like Christmas without a tree...and these are the answer to a prayer for old folks, singles or lazy people.

http://www.amazon.com/LB-International-Artificial-Christmas-Lights/dp/B005YGGWUC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1449496473&sr=8-3&keywords=collapsible+christmas+trees

• phyllis__mn
    8 years ago

I had tree until about three years ago, but next-door neighbors felt so sorry for me that they brought their DD's fiber optic tree and that's been my tree since then. I do decorate some with a shelf of snowmen, two shelves of Christmas teapots, nativity scene, etc. Wreaths are on the door. It really is quite a hassle to drag stuff down from an upstairs closet and then to drag it all back up again. Same neighbors brought me a lovely poinsettia planted with three other indoor plants. It's gorgeous.

• Related Discussions

When do you put up your Christmas tree?

Q

Comments (60)
    The first year we were married, I put up a live tree. The Sunday after Xmas, which happened to be the 26th, my husband went to church and I decided the tree was too dry and a hazard so I took it down while I had the house to myself. When my husband returned from church, he told me his parents and sister were on the way over to see our tree. I didn't know it was their tradition to visit each other to see the trees. Whoops. There's the tree on the porch waiting to be dragged to the curb and here are the boxes the ornaments are in. Pretty, no? Most years I don't put up a tree. I put up a tree the first one or two years we were married but didn't enjoy it so I stopped for many years. When my niece and nephew starting visiting us for the month of December, we did a tree again for 4-5 years. They will not be visiting this year so no tree is planned. When I do a tree, and it's live, I wait until a week or so before Xmas. If I use our fake one, I put it up the Saturday or Sunday after Thanksgiving. I don't have a set tear down day, it depends on tree dryness, my schedule, if I'm tired of the look and need a clean slate.
    ...See More

When do you put up your Christmas lights?

Q

Comments (30)
    This has never been a problem for us. Last year was the first year we had ANY outdoor decorations. I never understand how people have time for that sort of thing  No kids? No jobs? No kids and no job? Kind grandparents to watch the kids? Lots of money to pay someone else to do it? Last year we (I) bought wreaths to hang on the windows and a few strands of lights for the front walkway. Taking the decorations down in a timely manner wasnÂt a problem. One by one all the wreaths fell off. By Christmas Day, I think we had ONE left. (Of course that one had to be pried off!) Apparently the command hooks that I bought werenÂt strong enough for the wreaths. IÂll have to regroup this year. Taking down the strands of lights took a little more effort, mainly because while removing the lights I found BAGWORMS on my weeping Japanese maple! So after removing the lights, I stood out in the cold with a pair of hand pruners and a plastic bag and meticulously snipped every last blankety-blank bagworm off my tree! I hope no-one throws stale candy canes at me, because I'm sure I didn't take down the globe lights until mid-January. We put up the decorations when we can, and we take them down when we can. Sometimes they are never put up. (We've had at least one Christmas with no tree.) Sometimes they are slow to come down. (One year my tree stayed up until March hence the reason I didn't put it back up the next year. I managed to put the tree UP during my maternity leave then couldn't figure out how to get it DOWN while working full-time with a newborn.) We have no set schedule or rules. We usually travel to be with family on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Spending time with family trumps decorating (or undecorating) any day. Nin
    ...See More

When do you put your tree up?

Q

Comments (40)
    Holly, we also do not have a tree because of the cat problem. We only have one cat, but she considers any type of Christmas tree or other decoration as a toy. I even tried a tabletop candle/wreath ornament - you know, nice red candle in the middle of a nice (artificial) wreath. When I scolded our cat for chewing on the wreath, she grabbed the whole arrangement and started to drag it off the table. The candle was *lit*, too (shudder). Obviously, that didn't last long. Since we love our wild little cat, we just enjoy decorations at other homes - unless we have time to put up lights on some of our buildings.
    ...See More

Do you have your Christmas tree up yet?

Q

Comments (40)
    It is a tradition in my family to go buy the tree and decorate it the day or weekend after Thanksgiving. We also go to downtown Chicago to see Santa and the windows at Marshall Field's(now Macy's). About 6 years ago we went the weekend before Thanksgiving. It was the only time we could that year. It was wonderful! No crowds and no lines. Since then we go every year the weekend before Thanksgiving. However too many people are catching on. Its getting a little crowded. But if you get there around 10am its not too bad.
    ...See More
  • joaniepoanie
    8 years ago

We just put up a new artificial tree yesterday. The one we had was 20 years old, the color coded branch kind. DH was so tired of dragging it up from the basement, stringing the lights. Plus it was too big for the space, hiding some of the TV screen. I ordered a narrow, 7' prelit tree. What a breeze....save fluffing up the branches. DH is a happy camper. He spent all of 5 minutes setting up the stand and connecting the lighting from the three sections. Wish I'd gotten a new tree a few years ago.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    8 years ago

No, I do not, have 3 of them though and lots of ornaments. We will not have Christmas here.

Sue

• lindaohnowga
    8 years ago

No, just too old and don't have the stamina needed to put up a tree or decorate any more. I do love Christmas and make all of my cards and buy for our daughter and son-in-law. I already got "us" a Christmas present....a new driveway bell cord. Hubby will install it today. The old one died.

• lisaw2015 (ME)
    8 years ago

Going into the woods with the grandkids & cutting our own tree is a very special event for us, which we did yesterday. They all help decorate it and we have supper together afterward. I hope I never get weary of this...(sigh)

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    8 years ago

Just a 3-foot tree on the table top and a wreath on the door. Our children and grandchildren are all adults so we don't find it necessary to deal with a big tree and a big box of ornaments anymore.

• chisue
    8 years ago

When we moved in 2001 I gave all our ornaments to my DS and DIL. We have a few old holiday pieces here and there around the house. Two are table top trees with lights that my late DM bought at least 40 years ago -- one for my MIL and one for herself. Amazing that most of the lights still work! We are surrounded with lovely outdoor lighting on homes all up and down our road -- many houses professionally decorated.

Joanie -- Ah, yes, the color-coded-wire trees! We had one when our DS was a tot. I well remember assembling that tree and decorating it one afternoon while DS took a nap -- which was not, unfortunately, a reliable occurence. I had just gotten the lights plugged in when he woke. l lifted him out of his crib and carried him out to the family room. I'll never forget that moment, holding my warm little boy in his footed sleepers, watching his face light up as he gasped, then breathed, "OH! THANK you for CHRISTMAS!"

That memory kept me going, assembling and decorating the tree for a number of years.

• nanny98
    8 years ago

Sorta the same here, altho a few boxes are in the family room...probably just take out a few festive things....poinsettias to fill a basket, a santa cookie jar, a couple of ceramic trees that remind me of those long ago crafty times and what ever turns up that is easy to put away. The trees and ornaments and train sets gather dust in the garage. Do kids get excited over trains anymore? Seems like todays loved toys are those one can take apart and 'play with'....while in years past Dads and sons liked to set those things up and just watch them. Setting them up and getting them to work was the challenge; not quite so today.

• phoggie
    8 years ago

Since I am allergic to real trees, I have artificial ones. I certainly do not decorate the way I used to when DH was alive. On Thanksgiving afternoon, my grandsons put up wreaths on the outside and the tree in the living room...then grand-daughter decorates it. The smaller trees, other Christmas things and the poinsettias I do. I love lights, so I turn the trees and the mantle decorations every day-night. Then late Christmas afternoon, the grandkids will take down the things I can not do....love it that way!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

I just got this beautiful unusual poinsettia it brings Christmas into the house.

• User
    8 years ago

We get a live tree and I usually enjoy the process, but there have been years where we didn't and that was fine too.

• chisue
    8 years ago

nanny -- The wooden train set we gave our DS in the seventies has seen re-use by DGS in this decade. I think it's been configured in every possible way; taken apart; rebuilt over and over.

• donna_loomis
    8 years ago

Mom's asthma causes her distress when just about any live plant or flower is brought into the house, so for the last 20 years, it's been an artificial tree for us. I love having a tree, but my issue has always been space. Not a lot of options as to rearranging furniture, so the tree has always been relegated to a small corner. We had been using a 4-foot artificial tree atop a cabinet for many years and about 4 years ago, I announced that I didn't think I'd put up a tree. My daughter would have none of that - said we HAD to for the grandkids (then 4 and 12), so she took care of the decorating for me for a couple of years. Then I saw an online ad after Christmas two years ago for a "pencil" tree and I decided I had to have one. Got a good deal at Treetopia and even though it was January when it came, I HAD to put it up sans decorations, just to see it. I loved it and couldn't wait for Christmas! It's six feet tall, but has a smaller footprint than my 4-foot tree did. I bought some new ornaments to mix in with my old traditional ones and put it up last year for the first time. Yes, it's still relegated to a small corner, but I like it so much better than the previous one, which I gave to my son last year. I just put it up this weekend. Here is a picture of it last year.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    8 years ago

Some of your Christmas memories are just heartwarming. Reading the story behind "OH! THANK you for CHRISTMAS!" just made my heart happy.

I am sad for some of you like Artemis since the situation makes decorating impossible :-(

We actually treed up this year, we prefer an artificial tree. We also have a blue tipped juniper that we bought years ago for an outdoor tree and I hope to get that one lit and decorated this weekend.

• marilyn_c
    8 years ago

I haven't put up a Christmas tree in many years. I collected vintage ornaments and I still will buy a couple once in awhile. Maybe some day.........

• User
    8 years ago

I just have a small fiber optic (2-3 ft) one I got at a yard sale. No more mantel decorations or even the door. I don't get any company so why go to the trouble just for me.

• charleemo
    8 years ago

I bought a small fiber optic tree a few years ago that I really like. I will probably put it out before too long. I put my larger, pre-lit tree up once after my DH died. Too much trouble just for me and the fur kids so I donated it to a thrift store that helps cancer patients. I've bought the small, decorated trees at Lowe's in the past. The last Christmas my DM was living, my dad sent me to buy them a new pre-lit tree. It was less than 2 weeks until Christmas and that was not an easy task. My brother and I had looked all over for one. He left to check on our DM and I continued to look. I finally found one that was the right size and price. It was worth every minute it took when my mom came in the living room, saw the tree and said "It's beautiful".

• User
    8 years ago

We haven't put up a Christmas tree in 5 years. It's just DH and I and it was too difficult for us to get the tree and decorations down. I had a neighbor get them down before the last community yard sale and sold everything. I always buy a poinsettia and we enjoy it.

• marylmi
    8 years ago

I have decided this year that I won't put a tree up. I have three in boxes in the basement but for some reason I just can't get in the mood. I did a little trimming around the house but can't get beyond that!

• lucillle
    8 years ago

I bought a cherry blossom LED tree last year on Amazon, and I put decorations on it as my Christmas tree. I have the Norfolk pine I bought last year but it has grown and it is in a big pot, I didn't want to lug it in the house.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    8 years ago

I live alone, no kids and yet I love decorating for Christmas. I, too, have a slim tree (greatest invention ever) with little room to put it, but I love having the colored lights and the ornaments. My sister (now passed) gave me a bunch of her ornaments when she stopped having a tree. These are from the 40's when she and my older sister and brother were kids. I treasure them. I like to think about the people that have given me ornaments or decorations as I put them up. I just brought the tree up yesterday and got the ornaments on today. I also (thanks to 50º weather) got my outdoor decorations done too. I love seeing everyone's house all decked out. Here's my tree after I finished it this morning.

I have a Santa collection too and another collection of Christmas tins. The little church and Santa on the desk to the left of the tree were decorations from when I was a kid. They don't light up anymore, but I still like having them. I guess just about everything about Christmas is nostalgic for me. :)

• cacocobird
    8 years ago

I had a tree when my daughter lived at home. After she moved out, I stopped having one. Too much trouble!

• sephia_wa
    8 years ago

No, I have 3 cats - one 12 year old and two 4-month old kittens. Need I say more? lol

• User
    8 years ago

I have a small one that I put in the breezeway in front of a large window. Put lots of LED lights on it so it is very bright from the road view. A few other small decorations in the house- not much. After Xmas I will put a large bag over it, store it upright in the garage until next year.

• secsteve
    8 years ago

This will be the first year George and I don't have a real tree. Last year we decided it was just too much for us hauling the tree inside, setting it up, and then taking it out after the holidays. Not to mention the mess with the needles. Instead we'll have two artificial ones. We bought 9 foot one for the family room and have a 7 1/2 foot one for the living room.

We have 8 tubs full of decorations that we've been given over the years and each year getting them out brings back lots of memories. This year our invitation stated No New decorations please. Don't want to have to start another tub!

We had one friend who loved our tree trimming parties and always wanted to be "the first one to be invited" as soon as we picked a date. She went out of her way to pick unusual ornaments on her travels. She traveled a lot and got us a number of them before she passed away from cancer.

• dandyrandylou
    8 years ago

My heart goes out to those who simply haven't the inclination to decorate as I can understand well how "things" change as we age. I also feel deeply for those who haven't known happy Christmases in the past.

I've always been a nut for noel decorations and realize I've been the one to do the tree alone for many years past. I've made tiny birdhouse, nest, etc. decorations for a bird tree - all of which is in a large container under my bed. Also have a large Santa collection that is packed away.

Space for a tree is the issue now, but after knowing so many wonderful Christmas trees and gardens during childhood, I have made over thirty putz houses, each lighted, displayed in slanted hill form with small trees on deep artificial snow. A wreath on the door, and that has to be it.

Meanwhile, a joyous holiday for one and all, and God bless. Pink

• Kathsgrdn
    8 years ago

No tree this year for me. My house is a mess. Halfway through putting down flooring I've decided to pull all the laminate that's down now and put down sheet vinyl instead. The dogs occasionally make a mess because of my long hours at work, and the laminate is buckling. I also talked to some people recently who's elderly dog ruined their Pergo...same reason. Plus, the dark laminate I have down looks awful 99% of the time with two dogs in the house. I'm going lighter and water resistant. After the first of the year. I will probably go with laminate in the bedrooms, though. A lighter color. Next year I'm putting up a tree, going to have two exchange students so will have help!

• jwood52
    8 years ago

I have three fake trees in the attic, varying sizes. But my daughter, who had her first baby in May, is buying me yet another, bigger (six and a half feet) tree. We no longer do cut live trees, they don't last long, are a fire hazard and a mess during and after. It's just easier. I own hundreds of ornaments. Love to see them out at Christmas.

• linda_6
    8 years ago

we found a skinny tree and gave our other one to our DD. We're going to just wrap it up and set it in the corner for next year. I find I'm using less and less decorations each year.

• kittiemom
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I put up several artificial trees. It's only DH and me. Several of them are pencil trees so they don't take a long time to do. I just enjoy decorating them and like the way the house looks after. I have the trees in the windows and the candles on timers. I like coming home after work and seeing the house lit up.

This year has been hard for me. Magic was always with me "helping" while I was decorating and so I've been missing him a lot. DH said he'd want me to decorate, though, so I have. I haven't done as much as usual though.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

The other day, I found a big box of unbreakable gold colored ornaments of all shapes and sizes at WalMart at a good discount. We'll add them to one of the outdoor trees today!

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    8 years ago

I did put up our artificial tree, with 5-year-old grandson's encouragement and help. If it were just up to me, I wouldn't. I am another who does not have happy Christmas memories from childhood, which still affects my Christmas spirit today.

This year I finally bought myself what I really wanted as a Christmas decoration - a fine quality manger scene with 7 figures and a couple of goats and sheep. I have it on the hall entry table and it looks very nice. (I also have a life-size manger scene outdoors in my front yard.) These mean much more to me than a tree and wreaths and lights. In the future, I am sure I will stop putting up the tree and simply enjoy my manger scenes instead.

• maire_cate
    8 years ago

I'm not ready to give up our Christmas decorating traditions yet but I can see that things will change in a few years. The weekend after Thanksgiving I get all the decorations down from the attic and put up the artificial blue spruce in the living room and decorate the other rooms with nutcrackers, Santas, trees, elves etc. Yesterday DS came over and we went to our local nursery to pick out our live trees. That one goes in the family room - I love the aroma of a fresh tree.

All the kids have their own places but I'm lucky that they are near and we still celebrate with Christmas breakfast, followed by coffee and Danish while we open presents and then Christmas dinner.

• lindyluwho
    8 years ago

I have a small table top tree up and a very few other decorative items sitting around. If it weren't for my Grandchildren I wouldn't bother. The decorations that are out are ones they put out. I let them decorate however they want. If they put a random bow on the stairs because they like it there, so be it. It's about them, not me.

For about 10 years before I moved close to them I didn't do any decorating. What a relief to not feel like I had to do all that. Just too much work.

• kathleen44
    8 years ago

Christmas was always my favourite time of year. I loved it so much and couldn't wait for the tree to be put up and decorated and the cards arriving and filling up my mail box and presents to be put under the tree. Fun times it was.

But living with a mother who hated holidays and especially christmas, over the years she did everything she could and threw out all my stuff and I lost it all and tried to re-buy and out it would all go.

Christmas for me is a very lonely depressing time for me and I am blessed if three cards like this year arrives in my mail box.

No presents for me, nothing at all will there ever be.

NO baking as long ago that too was stopped and for just myself no point.

It will never be anymore, I have given up on that even though my mother is gone since last year.

You are all very blessed to have trees to decorate in even small areas and trees that fit and friends and family to share that day with.

kathy

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

For me it's, the lights. Even if I don't have a tree, I feel just as festive if I put up some lights around the front window.

I hope you all doing ok! I'll be thinking of those who are alone or don't really like this time of year. For me, it's mixed feelings. My younger sister (the youngest of all of 6 of us) was born on Christmas! Yay! My mom went to rehab on Christmas day (when was 13). It was hard that year. But now, it's a gift that she still keeps on giving. One year, I found out I not only wasn't pregnant, but instead, I had a tumor that had to removed. That was the worst. I'm still here and have my beautiful miracle son to celebrate with me. He shouldn't even be here, but he is. And he's so wonderful. I know we can't choose our children, any more than we can choose our parents, and I am so happy this one is with me. Lots of really really good stuff, and some really bad stuff. If I didn't have the good, I might just see the bad. I hear you.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    8 years ago

Kathleen44, you can go forward and create your own traditions. That is up to you.

I hope that you can find your happy place with or without the decorations.

• eld6161
    8 years ago

Kathleen, I really feel for you. With all the flurry of activity around you, it's difficult not to feel lonely if you are not apart of all the festivities..

For many, the holidays are just something to get through.

• katlan
    8 years ago

Oh kathleen44, I'm so sad for you. You deserve to be happy. I wish you could force yourself into getting just a small little something. Maybe just a ceramic tree. I was actually going to suggest that to the others on here that just don't want to deal with a big tree and all the trimmings anymore.

I kind of had to force myself to put mine up, but so glad I did. I actually think it was a combo of no snow and very warm weather. Just didn't feel like Christmas. I put up way fewer decorations now than I did when the kids were small.

I wish for everyone to have a healthy, happy Merry Christmas. I almost feel guilty that I have such wonderful memories of Christmas all my life. My two saddest Christmases were the years I lost my parents, Dad in 1986 and Mom in 1998. I sat on the steps and just cried trying to put up decorations. Then decided I just can't, and my best friend/SIL came over and said "where do you want everything", and she did almost all of it. I am blessed with a very loving, close family.

• satine_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Kathleen44, every year I buy my daughter a special gift on Christmas. Four years ago I got a call from the hospital telling me she was a patient and needed a procedure done. She was not capable to give permission. She was very very sick and was only given a 50-50 chance to live. She was there because she was a heroin addict and was very close to death. She had left our family and we didn't know where she was for over a year. She spent almost two months in the hospital went into rehab and today is a happy healthy young woman. My gifts to her each year are to celebrate her "new life" and I consider Christmas a rebirthday. This year I am giving her a small wooden sign that says "don't stumble over what is behind you". My point in telling this story is to help you understand that you can begin a new life and live it YOUR way. If you don't want to celebrate Christmas this year maybe you can help someone less fortunate by helping at a soup kitchen or visiting a lonely person in a nursing home. Nothing makes us more human than reaching out to others. Don't stumble over what is behind you.

• katlan
    8 years ago

Great story satine, and beautiful saying.

• caflowerluver
    8 years ago

We use to get live trees when our DS was little. There are a lot of Christmas tree farms in Santa Cruz Mts. Then we switched to a nice artificial tree. You really couldn't tell it wasn't real. My DH put it together and took it down, but was up to me and DS to decorate it. After a few years, it was just me. Not much fun to do the whole thing by myself. Then 2006 we remodeled the kitchen and right after that tore out the carpet in the LR/DR and put in hardwood. Since the place was a huge mess at Christmas we weren't going to have a tree, but found a small fiber optic tree and have been using that ever since.

Merry Christmas everyone!

• User
    8 years ago

This is my tree...it's on my deck and I can see it through the floor to ceiling windows. :) I do have a small one in the dining room.

• liz
    8 years ago

I put up 5 this year...down from my high of 12...they range from 8 feet to 8 inches...I love Christmas and do it mostly for my grandson!!

• lucillle
    8 years ago

" Nothing makes us more human than reaching out to others. Don't stumble over what is behind you."

Awesome.

• User
    8 years ago

Loved sitting here with my coffee and reading all of your stories this morning.

The tree is lit and all is very Christmassy and cozy here this morning.

I won't deny it was hard to get out all the decorations and put up the tree this year. I also do a village. After two days of muscle relaxants and tylenol I said never again. :) But I will probably do this for as many years as I possibly can.

Sometimes, I feel my tree mocks me. Memories of all the festivities of years gone by are just that..memories. But, I'm still here, and I decorate for me. DH goes along with it and helps but I don't really think he cares about it that much. I could be wrong.

I certainly understand why some do not want to put a tree. Maybe as we get older and less able, it's kinder to lose the desire for all the decorations. :)

Kathleen44-give yourself permission to have a nice Christmas. Not to late to go out and buy a wreath, or a tiny artificial tree, turn on some Christmas music. Anything to bring a touch of the season into your home.

Merry Christmas Kathleen44.

Merry Christmas to all of you.

• wildchild2x2
    8 years ago

It's Christmas morning and I finally almost have my tree up. This year was hard for us since I got quite ill a few weeks ago and it really knocked me on my butt. But with DH's help we do have a tree. I am cutting back on ornaments this year and not decorating as much as in the past. When it was just DGD it was easy to keep her out of mischief. But with an 18 month old DGS we are keeping it pretty childproof this year. Fortunately today is a quiet day for us. We will celebrate with family in January. That way DD can do Xmas with the in laws and her family can stay home Xmas Day. It makes the holiday much more relaxing for us. The tree so far:

• User
    8 years ago

For a few years, I had no desire to put up a tree and for several, didn't put one up until a day or two before Christmas. But now that I have a grandchild, putting up a tree is fun again! My Tree (on Flickr)

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

Ours is coming down today. I've always taken down the decorations on boxing day, even when I put up a full sized tree.

Our "tree" the past couple of years has been our Norfolk Island Pine houseplant. Balls on it and lights all around the base.