SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmhmmgood_gw

soapstone installed and I love it but ...

mmhmmgood
12 years ago

the fabricator made a mistake and cut a sink out of my favourite part of the slab. Sigh.

My countertop is my work surface and for me was the driving force behind all the other decisions in my kitchen. My one splurge item that I really wanted to have just right. And so I spent a lot of time finding the right stone in a slab large enough to be without a seam on my island. I found the perfect match of relative hardness, striking beauty and availability in a large slab from a source across the country. I then spent a lot of time ensuring someone would be willing to work with my supplier for this "special order" (read inflated price here) and still be willing to treat my slabs like soapstone and not granite. I then made several trips to the fabricator to ensure the I was happy with the layout and placement of all cutouts and seams (no seam on the island but 2 seams on the perimeter). We put green tape with the words SINK over the area I wanted cut. Then I approved CAD drawings. And then they cut the island wrong. Cut the sink right through the middle of the spectacular dramatic vein that was supposed to be on the seating side of the island.

I'm not even mad because really what more could I have done? The CAD drawings were correct. The cut was done wrong. S#!t happens.

It's still beautiful, stunning really, and you will all see it some day soon when everything is finished. But I don't feel like posting a photo now to have everyone tell me how beautiful it is. I know how beautiful it is, I'm just sad about how beautiful it COULD have been. And so I need a moment to vent, and I need to tell someone about it so that I don't have to explain it to everyone who admires it down the road ... I want to be able to be gracious and say thank you instead of bringing up the mistake over and over and over. Because no one else will ever know what it was supposed to be like unless I tell them, it's just me that has to stand at my sink day in and day out and look at my pretty vein all hacked up.

DH says he likes it better because he likes how you can see the edge of the vein cascading down into the sink cutout. But I am the one who uses the kitchen. And who agonized over splurging for the soapstone I wanted vs settling for a nice granite. And who scoured the city and country for a hard enough soapstone and then for a local fabricator with the right skills willing to work with it.

So thanks for being my listening ear and joining my pity party this evening. I know some of you TKO'ers will get it. In the end I'm really not so hard to please, I'll get over it. I love my soapstone. I just hate that my day ends with this disappointment.

Comments (23)