SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muskokascp_gw

Soapstone island install - not the best. What would you do?

muskokascp
12 years ago

My soapstone was installed just before Christmas. I LOVE the stone but don't love the seam. I have a really large island ( 10 x 5) and one slab will not fit. The fabricator assured me that with soapstone the seam would be invisible. I didn't tell him I wanted to see the slabs before fabrication because he didn't have any slabs on site and was ordering them in. I expected to see them when they came in. However, next I heard from him the slabs were fabricated and ready to be installed. Not much I could do.

The seam itself is fine - it is the matching of the slabs. The small piece added on the end is very busy with lovely veins but the area on the large slab abutting it is relatively quiet so the veins on the small piece just stop. This draws the eye to the seam. This last picture shows the entire large piece but the seam is not in the picture - just to give an idea of what the main slab looks like.

I am not sure what to do. It is not a match I would have ok'd if I had seen this before they cut the stone. I have been in email discussion with the fabricator and he said he should have gone with his gut and ordered 3 slabs so all the veins could have been matched. I am not clear why he feels he needs 3 slabs to do the job. He is willing to make this right although I will have to bear some cost. How much is not clear at this point. I do not relish 2 seams in one island. Can he not get 2 slabs that can be book matched?

What would you do, should I just accept it? It would be lovely to have this done but on the other hand I don't want to make a decision just because I am tired and want to be done. They have to come back anyway to fix the sink cut out. I have the Kohler stages sink but the cut out is not large enough to allow the cutting boards to sit properly.

What is reasonable? I just can't tell anymore.

Comments (33)