SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Can I reuse lovely cast iron drop-in sink with soapstone counter?

julieste
11 years ago

I want to install new countertops--probably soapstone but also perhaps something like Witch Hazel Corian. I started to look for a new sink that has the same qualities as my current sink (a Kohler Epicurean) but couldn't find anything that I liked nearly as well and/or that would fit the current cabinet and plumbing configuration we have. My current sink is a white, top-of-the-line, cast iron Kohler but is nearly twenty years old.

It has a large 9-10" deep bowl on the left, a small 5-6" deep bowl in the middle where our disposal is (this is perfect to drain something or rinse veggies while the main sink is being used for other things because we do not have a prep sink area) and an integrated drainboard that is practical for a variety of uses. I like the sink, and it is in pretty pristine condition with only some minor scratching in the small bowl because I've always used a sink mat in the large bowl. The sink also fits the look of our pretty much timeless kitchen with the inset door birch cabinets of the 1920's to 1930's (some original and some custom built to match).

Would we be foolish to install expensive new counters built around a sink that is not brand new? I did find one brand new of this now discontinued model in the wrong color for me, and is is still being sold at $1500.

Here is a link to the sink.
http://www.us.kohler.com/us/catalog/partProductDetails.jsp?productId=418775&prodColor=&isProductDiscontinued=true&_requestid=4592037

Our current counters are tile with a contrasting bullnose edging. Is there a problem with mounting a sink on top of soapstone or Corian rather than having the undermount everyone has today? Thanks.

Comments (8)