SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debutl

Which paint color do you like better?

Debbie
10 years ago
We're remodeling our daughter's bathroom out of necessity. Hubby has gutted it. A new tub, tiles, vanity, mirror, light fixture, etc. will go in. The only thing staying is the faucet since it was recently replaced. My daughter picked out this shower curtain and other beachy accessories months ago. Which green looks best or maybe neither? Also, I have a choice between light maple cabinets or paint grade cabinets in whatever color I choose. Which would you pick? It's a small bathroom. The tile surrounding the tub and the floor tile will be a neutral beige.

Comments (404)

• abbyjean
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Your home became their home and I have a feeling they are still loving it.....and even more since they did not have to fix up things when they moved in. Changes are tough for autistic kids and I love that you wanted them to have this home instead of an investor.
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I just went to PB's site, clicked on the mirror and I got this message! Woo hoo!

"This item is currently in stock and ready to ship."

They must have found the one that was supposed to be at my PB store.
  • Related Discussions

Which table do you like better?

Q

Comments (3)
    If you are doing the slats yourself, you could route channels for the cords to press into them. Or you could do a wider slat that would also hide the cord. Take a look at the EJ Audi / Stickley website for different slat configurations. One other thing that you could do is have a panel painted the wall color inserted behind the slats and let the cords fall where they may.
    ...See More

Which kitchen color combo do you like better and why?

Q

Comments (19)
    I really want quartz! I do understand that soapstone would look really great. In the inspirational pic, she did a glaze on her island too. However! It's a different glaze, just darker on the edges.(I don't know the technical term. I will not have the beautiful detailing work that she has on her island (over budget).) What do you all think of doing the same glaze she did on my simple frame cabinets on my island? Jan you like the lighter teal on the island? I'm thinking about going into a paint store and just finding a different color that more closely matched the inspirational pic and going the glaze that she did. I was going to do Caeserstone color Concrete. (Rugged Concrete has some poor reviews). However, am I'm not as confident is the company as I was with Cambria. And I'm looking into the best place to buy Caeserstone. I could go throught the flooring store where I'm looking at samples, however I don't think they would give me the best price?! Whereas, I love Cambria! and already has a quote. I am debating doing with one of there lighter grays. I am not doing a teal bump out sink! However this is a good pic of the color and glaze of the island.
    ...See More

Which countertop do you like better?

Q

Comments (2)
    there would be many light counters and splash to place here. Just looking at the images of your space the issue that s a little confusing is the classic warm vs cool notes overall. the cabs and floor seem to work as they are in the cool family...however your walls are really a yellow/warm off-white. some of the samples seem too warm w your cabs.....I see maybe a hint of bronze in floor but the floor still reads cool to me. So are you trying for a warmer counter/splash...it seems tricky to get it right in that sense w what looks like cool cabs and floor. This is the compelling case for your "real life" view of the tones and notes in your lighting and why its so hard to advise w this. From what I see I'd pick a really simple cool toned light counter w backsplash options in mind at the same time. A coordinated plan should be thought out...dont forget the splash.
    ...See More

Plantation Blind Color - Which one do you like better?

Q

Comments (11)
    My first thought was white (to not darken your bath -- baths are small and dark colors can make them have an even smaller vibe). Then I noticed that your toilet tissue roll rod and sconces and the mat around your art and even the base of your cabinet appears to be black ... so, clearly you like the dramatic look of it and it doesn't look bad at all ... so ... go for it: choose black. You can always replace it or paint it white later on if your tastes change.
    ...See More
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    You, my dear, live a charmed life! May I suggest you run out and buy a lottery ticket as this seems to be your lucky day!!!
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It's a good thing I didn't buy that lottery ticket. My mirror order is still showing an estimated delivery date of mid-August. But, we have towel bars, a counter top, sink and faucet! We banged up the walls a bit putting the counter top in, but it's just paint and can be touched up. I am so ready for that ugly outlet to be changed out and screwed to the wall with a cover on it!
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    Almost done!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    OMG! That picture is striking! What a great bathroom! Your daughter has to be sooo happy!!! Lots of progress in this pic!!!
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    She is SO excited. It's starting to look like a bathroom. She skips when she's happy and she has been skipping around the house tonight!
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Dilemma!!! I hung the round mirror from the foyer in the daughter's bathroom temporarily and she likes it! I kind of like the round mirror, too. Not this particular mirror, but a round mirror. I'm going to look for a round mirror that fits the bill. The other mirror is on backorder until mid-August, so I've got time to search.

Punch list: Sand and paint the baseboards and trim, install linen cabinet, install backsplash, mirror, done! I did have to put her favorite hand towel in there for tonight. Shhh...she doesn't know I ordered two white monogramed hand towels from PB. And, I'm going to PB this weekend to get another bath mat for in front of the sink.

We're going to start moving her toiletries in tomorrow. She will use her new bathroom for washing her face and brushing her teeth tonight. Yay! Sorry about the reflection from the flash. It's late and we've been working on getting her into her bathroom all night tonight.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Who would have thunk!!! A round mirror totally works here!!! You two have been having lots of fun fixing up this room and both of you should be skipping around the house.
  • Lynne Forrestal
    9 years ago
    Looks great, so happy for you... what a lucky daughter!!
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I found this mirror. The size is right. It would fill up the space nicely and would be easy to clean. What do you think? Is it too plain?
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Well, how about that. This mirror is on Overstock.com. I just got a 12% off coupon from them in my inbox that's good for 24 hours.

karemore!!! Are you still around? If so, what do you think?
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    Oh, I love that Overstock mirror. I don't think it would compete with anything in any bathroom. Very nice!
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    OK, I'm ordering it! It's the perfect size.

Here's a better pic of the baskets above the toilet. I think they turned out so cute!

LOL! My daughter just asked me if she could actually use the towels and washcloths. I said yes, why? She said because they look too fancy to use.
  • Diane Jones
    9 years ago
    It is an amazing room! Great decisions by both you and your daughter. She will always remember that you included her in this remodel!
    Debbie thanked Diane Jones
  • PRO
    Hyde Evans Design
    9 years ago
    hmmmm...not seeing using green at all.
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Good morning, Deb! It's funny - I was going to suggest a round mirror, but I thought you had ordered the PB one, which is also nice.

So, yes, I love it! The round shape will bring a really nice vibe to the room. And I suspect it will look more casual than the rectangular one.
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Oh, I just saw your latest pics of the bathroom - it's coming together so nicely, Deb. Congratulations!

I remember you posting some pics that you were going to use quite a ways back, but when you have the time, can you take a pic of them on the wall? Would love to see them.
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yay! I ordered the round mirror. I used the 12% coupon and I had $25 in Club O Rewards and I got free shipping. I'll cancel the PB order.

My daughter just used her new shower for the first time. She informed me she likes her shower better than mine. That's fine by me! She asked me to show her how I hung the towels up because she wants to keep them just like I had them.

karemore, are you referring to these little pictures? I haven't hung them up yet. I was thinking about putting them under the large basket. That's the only spot I have for them.
  • bamamom
    9 years ago
    Debbie.....the bathroom is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! I love everything you've done in here! That is a brilliant idea to use the baskets for towel storage!!!!! I'm going to "borrow" that idea!
    Love that mirror too.....can;t wait to see it hung up.
    Debbie thanked bamamom
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Perfect find with the mirror! You got the shape and no frame or trim to fight with a thing. I have a feeling your daughter is going to work extra hard to keep this room nice and clean.
    Debbie thanked abbyjean
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I finally got a chance to sit down and read back through the comments. I did actually have to work today and I did get some work done. I work from home on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Thank you technology!

And, thank you for all the nice compliments. I am extremely pleased with how our daughter's bathroom is coming together. We've had the décor packed up in a box for months. Ann, you were right about the paint color. It's new and different and took some getting used to. But, it seems just perfect now. Bamamom, I've been wondering where you've been!

I'll post final pics after the mirror comes in and the last few items are complete. It will probably be a couple of weeks. We leave for Taekwondo Nationals competition a week from today!
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Deb, it was the pics I can see on the left in this pic below. I don't remember them, but I haven't been following the thread that closely - my apologies.

You have had such great help, I didn't feel like I should barge as sometimes too many voices just confuses the issue. But, I have kept your thread bookmarked, and have a look every few days or so.

The room really did come together beautifully, and you deserve all the praise you are getting! It has that perfect mix of casual and tailored that will make it appealing to absolutely anyone who uses this space. And - bonus - lots to look at while you are sequestered in there!
    Debbie thanked karemore55
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    There is no need to apologize, karemore!!! Are you kidding me? You're the pillow, mirror, accessory Queen! And, you have such a way with words. I love the sequestered reference!

I do like that it didn't turn out childish and can be enjoyed by all who enter and may choose to be sequestered for a while.

Here are the pics you referred to.
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Oh, I remember those pics now! Your daughter picked them out, correct?

Maybe I should change it from sequestered to retreat? Getaway? Escape? I could gaze at those pics forever.........................!
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes, Lauren picked them out. She has great taste.
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hey Ann, karemore and bamamom! Did you see my guestroom? This was the first room I posted on Houzz.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/your-opinion-is-needed-please-dsvw-vd~1014597
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    My daughter and I are back in town. The tournament didn't go so well, but we had a good time otherwise.

My husband installed the linen cabinet and backsplash while we were gone. He built the doors to go all the way to the left edge, but wasn't considering that when he routed the edge detail on the left side of the cabinet. He was going to build new doors that aren't as wide, but I think they look OK. The detail edge gives space to open the doors with your fingers instead of having to use a knob. He didn't bring home the hinges to mount the top door. So, now I'm wondering if we even need the top door (he made more shelves and drilled holes so that the shelves are adjustable) and if we need a knob on the bottom door. What do you think? Leave the top door off and use the shelves as display or install the door? And, knobs or no knobs? Or, new doors with knobs that are not as wide?
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Sorry to hear about the tournament not fulfilling your wishes, but sounds like still good mother/daughter time, which is theeee best!

WOW! This bathroom gets better looking all the time!!! My thoughts on a door for the top.........I like the idea of display space as long as you have items to display instead of just finding STUFF to put there. If you would not know what to put there, maybe a door would still be best. You have great items on the counter.....would you just want more to dust?

I would like to see a knob that matches the other doors on the vanity so they all go together.
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Actually, the trip was terrific. It was great mother/daughter time. She didn't win, but she's still a winner to me because she showed such maturity during the entire trip. She took losing better than any of the other girls, including me. :-) I'm really proud of her. She's very smart and competitive and I could see there was a lot churning going around in her head afterwards. She'll sort it out and I'll support her every step of the way.

OK, I don't like to dust. Good point. The other door is going on and knobs on both! I don't think anyone will really notice the routed edge on the cabinet. My husband was all out of sorts about it.
  • bamamom
    9 years ago
    Hi Debbie
    Just getting a chance to go through emails for the past week and saw your post...

Sorry about the tournament. I'm sure Lauren did great in her competititon!!! Takes a LOT of courage to go and compete at that level!!!! Glad you had wonderful girl time together.

I love the cabinet and had to really look to see what in the world you were talking about regarding "routing" the door. I do not think anyone will every notice, except your husband ( we are always our own worse critics). This bathroom, along with your other rooms, has turned out absolutely beautiful.

PS....I have a crown molding dilemma above the tv wall.....may need to post a pic and see if your husband would mind giving some advice. Or anyone for that matter. Just getting the angles cut in the right direction just about put me OVER the edge!!!!! Okay, it DID put me over the edge....I took every piece of trim and threw it on the curb for the trash collection or whomever wanted to pick it up and haul it away! Said the two walls would stay forever with crown molding. Hub went and picked it all up and placed it in the garage. 5 days later I decided to try again! A LOT of google/you-tube video watching.
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    I never did figure out the "routing" issue. I looked hard.
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    The important thing is the journey, very few rise to the tippy top, so you better enjoy the journey! I once schlepped my daughter from Maine to New Jersey for an "elite" swim meet. She qualified something like 144th out of 145th, but da**it she'd earned it! It was a great weekend, lots of positive life lessons learned, and we had a great time. And it looks like your beloved channeled a lot of nervous energy while you were away! Bath looks great!
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The bathroom is done! Well, my husband still needs to pick up two more knobs for the linen cabinet and I've got to sand and paint the baseboards and trim. But, I need to repaint the baseboards and trim in the hallway, so I'm doing that next week while our daughter is at camp. I've also got a couple of monogrammed hand towels and a bath mat on order. I'm still calling it DONE!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    I am sad it is done! WAH WAH WAH! I have sooooo enjoyed this journey. I know I am soooo removed from all you have done, but gosh! You need to pour a BIG glass of wine and go back and read all of this from the beginning. Let hubby sit and read with you. Look how pretty this all turned out!!! Such a great home you have!!!
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    It's fantastic Debbie!
    Abbyjean, thanks for the support on my thread today. I was definitely feeling beat up at times. It was nice to get your cheerful comments!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Ann, our tastes are soooo similar, so when I saw your room, it totally worked for me and I was surprised when people started mentioning things to change. BUT when you started moving things, it still worked as it was still your STUFF, which is what I like the most. I just loved the ledge in your living area and then all those comments about it needing to be updated and sure enough, once you were done after all those steps....and I do not mean the steps up and down the ladder.......it worked, too. I just need to step out of my box more, but am happy to let YOU do it for me!!!
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here's a little bit better picture of the mirror. I really like the way it turned out.

Total cost for materials, labor and décor, about $3500.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    The mirror was a great choice for that vanity, lights and wall.

I am betting labor was the highest cost of all in that $3500, but still such a great deal for a total gut!
  • PRO
    Wessel LED Lighting Systems, Inc.
    9 years ago
    Well just a thought. For the bathroom or the bedroom. You can look at out Futura or Linea Classic custom made glass shelves that come in 18", 24", 36"and 48". They can be with or without LED lights. go to www.wesselled.com to look at a preview. And if color is needed. We also have our RGB color changing "Linea Classics" with a remote control. They were a big hit at the Miami Beach home show this year.
  • bamamom
    9 years ago
    WOWZA!!!!!! Debbie the bathroom looks beautiful. The three of you have done all of the hard work! As abbyjean said we were able to just look and see glimpses. Enjoy that glass of wine, maybe two; and get ready for painting next week. Definitely keep us updated on new projects and competitions for Lauren!
    Debbie thanked bamamom
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    LOL! I sent pics of the bathroom to family and friends and the mirror is the superstar!
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I posted the bathroom on Before and After. What a disappointment. I got two comments, one being Ms. abbyjean. Thank you, abbyjean!!!

Is it that boring? My husband put a lot of work into this bathroom. The bathroom is not huge and we didn't spend thousands and thousands of dollars on the remodel. I like seeing remodels on a budget. Oh, well...

Today is my husband's birthday! The big SIX OH MY GOODNESS! He didn't want to think about it, so it's been a low key day. Unlike the surprise party I threw for him for his 30th. It turned into a skinny dipping all nighter! Those were the days!
  • homefor36years
    9 years ago
    I have followed this thread since it's inception faithfully. It has been a wonderful journey. Everything looks so nice and your husband is amazing with what he has accomplished. Your daughter will have these precious memories the rest of her life of the three of you working together on this project. So don't be disappointed by the lack of comments just be glad you did something so special for your daughter.
    Debbie thanked homefor36years
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    Oh gosh, I didn't see the before and after thread. I would have said how much I love it!!!!
    Debbie thanked Ann
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Please help a friend in need! If you only knew the struggles she has been through...
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-help-with-curb-appeal-dsvw-vd~1068584
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Deb, sorry for the interruption (again!), but I would like to post this link for abbyjean.

Abbyjean, this dilemma has your name written all over it! https://www.houzz.com/discussions/help-with-accessorizing-new-media-console-dsvw-vd~1079766

Thanks, Deb!
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    And while I'm at it, I too must apologize for not commenting on your Before & After thread, Deb. I keep my settings at Design Dilemma, and rarely look at the other categories.

But, you know what I think about that bathroom! You know you're doing a good job (no pun intended) of decorating when people can feel your "love" even in a bathroom!
    Debbie thanked karemore55
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Thanks, karemore55! Fun room to play with and not overwhelming to look at!
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    OK, ladies...I saw a quilt at PB and fell in love with it. It's linen and the softest quilt! I want to make it work in my bedroom as inexpensive as possible. You know my taste. I can do paint, artwork and curtains. Please hop into my bedroom and let me know what you think.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/please-help-me-create-a-romantic-bedroom-dsvw-vd~1087813
Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida