SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rogerc

New granite countertops - very disappointed

rogerc
10 years ago
Granite countertops for our kitchen remodel were installed yesterday. We paid a premium for higher-end granite we fell in love with and asked the fabricator for a 2.5" square mitered edge. A mitered edge results in a single solid cut of granite along the face of the edge, creating the look of the countertop having been made from a single very thick solid slab.

The fabricator suggested a laminated, built-up edge instead. He thought any crystal chunks in the granite that happened to end up at the corner intersection of the mitered joint might be too fragile and could easily break if impacted. We were further encouraged to go with laminated when we were told the laminated layers "would blend well on our busy granite and really wouldn't be noticeable". Sounded like the better option so we went with it.

Unfortunately, not only is it quite noticeable, but with our extra tall edge the laminate took 3 layers of slab to create... so in some places it has two distinct horizontal lines (at each laminated layer). This really makes the countertops look cheap... in the places where you can distinctly see all three layers it looks like the edge profile is horizontally stripped.

Of course the slabs are ruined and we can't start over. So I'm wondering if there is any fix for this. Can granite be dyed or stained? I don't mean the whole slab... just wondering if I could minimize the impact by selectively hand-staining some areas of the more aggressively contrasting spots, where the two slab colors are the most different from each other. If I could stain the lighter cream color spots so they better matched the immediately adjacent brown-grey of the crystal patches, I'm hoping we might end up with something not quite so embarrassing.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this being done?

Comments (76)

• PRO
    JandB Kitchen Designs
    10 years ago
    This process CAN NOT be used on the flat surface.....In fact, sometimes our fabricators have seams that fit really tight but (for obvious reasons still have to be filled) so they actually widen up the surface of the seam (V-Groove) so the "grout" has a place to go.....John & Brigitte
  • Cindy Quinton
    10 years ago
    I can NOT believe anyone with granite experience suggested this edge. He should have known that you were not going to get the look you desired. FURTHERMORE, as he began to fabricate he knew it wasn't going to look right. Now he wants to shrug, say nothing can be done and exit the scene. You need to make it very, very, clear that you are not happy and he should be helping come up with a solution. In order to make what you are considering work, you would need to create shallow depressions, mix up half a dozen different colors and then have someone with artistic ability create the fix. I hate this for you, and I sure hope you find a solution, and I hope you bad mouth this guy for infinity.
  • Related Discussions

Disappointed with ugly place in BA granite

Q

Comments (9)
    From the "Read Me" thread: Posting a picture from your photo hosting account (e.g., PhotoBucket) First, where are your pictures? If on your computer only, you'll need to upload them somewhere on the web for the rest of us to see them. I upload pictures to PhotoBucket. Open an account w/PhotoBucket or other photo hosting site. Take a picture using a digital camera (or film camera but get them on disk when they're developed) Resize your pics so they're approx 400x300 (resize keeping the same proportions so they don't get distorted...i.e., don't specify a specific size, use %-ages or similar) Upload your pictures to your photo account Find the label that contains the link to the picture (In PhotoBucket, it's the box labeled "HTML Code") Copy that link and paste it into the "Message" box of a post. When you "Preview" your message, you'll see the picture. PhotoBucket Link Views: Posting a picture from somewhere other than your Photo hosting account Copy the following into the "Message" box where you want the picture to be: Next, replace the http://www.XXX/image.jpg with the address of the image. When you "preview" the message, you should see the picture Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!
    ...See More

Are repairs on new granite countertops normal?

Q

Comments (125)
    We've paid half down, $3000. The fabricator desperately wants full price which is why they've replaced some of it. Anyone know if there are different qualities if granite, particularly Uba tuba? Did I mention there's another big sparkly fill in the new stuff? They claim it is natural. I've never seen sparkly chunks in granite. It's like glitter. It's so offensive.
    ...See More

New granite countertops - Is this normal?

Q

Comments (23)
    In the third, more distant photo I found it not very noticeable (the slightly off seam). Joe Corlett, please advise - before filling the chips with glue, would you use a pen to darken the spot, or will the glue naturally blend in the chip? OP, about the pen.... my granite installer used an obviously lighter material in the seam, so it was really visible. I think he had matched the color to the stone before he used color enhancing sealer on it (against my wishes, btw) which darkened the stone......I ended up using a dark permanent marker in irregular dabs on the seam to blend it in.
    ...See More

New granite countertops are not smooth

Q

Comments (6)
    I’ve heard that different stones have this even when “finished” depending on the type of material. We once had a slick black granite that had none of that. Then later had Dolomite which had the same texture as yours when the light shined just right… maybe it’s normal for yours as well… except for missing chunk, that is…
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    I would terrorize that guy with a scatter gun!!!! what on earth???
  • PRO
    JandB Kitchen Designs
    10 years ago
    Whoa.....Gotta be careful with comments like that because when someone actually does, they'll come after you!!.....Just having a little fun with ya.....On the other hand, this certainly isn't a laughing matter and we totally agree with the comments regarding this fabricator.....John & Brigitte
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    I am so sad for this situation. (We actually did have people removed after "mess-ups" and paying in full for a poor job). There is no excuse for this flubuptitudeness.
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    have you paid in full for this? It really should be re-done and they should pay for it. I would ask them to determine how to fix it and then do so. No One would ever expect a counter to look like this- ever. I would report them and be sure that they did not pull this stunt again.
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    maybe the only solution is a veneer of granite tiles or laminate product running along that front edge. How many linear feet are like this. You need to meet with the company that did this and let them know they need to make it better. I would not do anything on your own until you have exhausted solutions with the installers.
  • Cindy Quinton
    10 years ago
    I am assuming you were wanting this look?
  • rogerc
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Thanks for clarifying the process JandB Kitchen Designs.

The problem is primarily with the perfectly linear abruptness of the changes in contrasting colors. If we could change the shape of the distinct horizontal line by blending the colors across the seam using a mottling effect, to randomize the transition from one layer to the next, we should be able to disguise the seam.

Of course, in the interest of using a method with the least possible effort, as well as least possible complexity (opportunity for things to go wrong), I'd still like to explore simply staining the lighter areas (without having to cut-out for epoxy fill). But we will look into the possibility of cutting grooves to be filled with colored epoxy if the staining method can't be done.
  • rogerc
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Ikdrew. When I was told there is nothing that can be done to remove the bottom of the three layers, I was speaking with the worker that was doing the installation.

I'll be speaking with the business owner this morning. For the reasons I mentioned earlier, I don't expect to be told the bottom layer can be removed... it's just too late for that. But I'm hoping he can research an in-place fix.
  • rogerc
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for your kind words apple_pie_order. I'll try to take more photos today.
  • rogerc
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Cindy Quinton for your advice. I will stand on yours and the other helpful comments I've received here when I speak with the fabricator today. And yes, that photo is much like the effect we were going for.
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    I hope your conversation goes well. It looks as though rather than doing anything to fix or repair this edge, you need to add one more layer of something on it to cover it completely.
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    I suggest that you meet with the business owner *in your kitchen*. It is so much easier to discuss options when the material in question is at your fingertips. Send copies of the new daytime photos with him when he goes back to the shop.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Good luck with your meeting. Please let us know how it goes.
  • sberanek
    10 years ago
    Personally, I would take off a few hours of work to go down and visit their store, wait outside till you see potential customers going in. Once their in, depending in the store, go in with several larger pictures so they can see the examples. Don't make to big of a seen, but speak to their representatives about their mistake, make sure the customers can hear you...take the pictures over to them and explain what happened in your situation. Ask if that's the sort of company they want working in their house. Then mention that your contemplating taking out a newspaper ad about the suggestion you were given and the outcome. Let them know you will tell everyone you know, everyone you work with about your experience.

Best of luck, bad news about a company spreads a lot faster than good news, let them know you will get the word out.
  • Cathy S
    10 years ago
    You should not pay for this. They simply wanted a cheaper faster way to build up the edge instead of the more technical mitered edge. This type of work is embarrassing for the whole industry.
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    roger c- what ever happened with these countertops? Did you get resolution?
  • PRO
    TMK Remodeling
    10 years ago
    Could you have the edges "distressed" to make them look like a natural cut rather than polished finish?
  • shastacat
    10 years ago
    So unacceptable...I'm sorry this happened to you because if you are anything like me , you've waited aloooong time to choose just the right piece of granite. How disappointed you must be; and if all else fails, you can litigate... Don't worry, be happy
  • sbrustein
    10 years ago
    I am really not sure i understand why this was done at all. Why wasn't the edge whether it was straight down ,beveled , ogee, rounded,etc, enough with just the slab ? Can the counters be removed and finished differently now?
  • Lesley Delle_Grazie
    10 years ago
    Hideous! Obviously the fabricator paid no attention to what they were doing with your edge. If they weren't willing to try to piece it together properly, then they should never have suggested this option. Could they possibly bevel the bottom edge so there's not so much of it showing?
  • phyllisga
    10 years ago
    Those are two different types of granite!
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi Roger, sorry to hear that. Any updates on the situation ?
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    You CAN have them come back and work it down with their Seco grinder... they will have many different heads for fine grinding and polishing. Honestly, sometimes less is more. I thought about the broken edge, decided to go with simple cut. It wasn't the money, it was knowing that no one actually has granite that deep... I hope you can find peace with this.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    that's bad.
  • PRO
    Gem Marble and Granite Corp
    10 years ago
    This is unacceptable. A fabricator opting to laminate as opposed to a mitered and bonded assembly is not necessarily a problem if they have blocked out the slab and reviews it with you. The edge blending should be deliberate in how it should flow. Miter and bonded assembly requires more skill and time but when done properly achieves a beautiful fascia detail. Did they charge you the same cost for this detail? It should very been less.
  • PRO
    Fuze stone
    9 years ago
    That is horrible. It can be fixed. It will just be a very messy fix. All must be done in place.
  • raineycarole
    9 years ago
    Old post
  • Salima Valji
    9 years ago

@fuze stone what is your fix? I also am I the same situation as @rogerc

@rogerc where you able to find a solution? I was considering g putting a stainless steel strip on the edge.

• daveandjack
    9 years ago
    The person that put this together is an idiot with no expernace on installing or making counter tops, i would call the better business and fill a complant for misrepersation ( sorry cant spell) also contact the state board of contractors and fill a complant,some states have a fund to help the home owner to recoup some cost
    Take him to small clams court for mis rep,
    He must be blind and cross eyed not to see the miss match
  • rogerc
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Salima Valji - I'm sorry to hear you've had a similar problem.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to find a solution yet. Our remodel project was much larger than just the kitchen. We completely gutted the entire house, removing all flooring, cabinetry and fixtures throughout. Then redesigned the floorplan, removed one exterior wall and multiple interior walls, and raised multiple floors. We're in the process now of putting in all new finishes.

It's been rather overwhelming, so I haven't had a chance to get back to this, but I am still hoping someone can point me to a solution.

As a test, I tried hand-applying a small amount of dye to a non-conspicuous area. My intent being to disguise the abruptness of the transition between slabs by artistically and subtly blending the colors of the natural stone across the sharp line where the difference in slabs is most noticeable.

I do believe this will work and won't actually be as much effort as it sounds.

The problem though is with the polish on the surface of the granite. The smooth protective finish of the polish completely prevents the dye from penetrating the stone (as it should, of course).

I'd like to know if the polish can be removed in small spots, the stone touched-up with dye in those areas, and then the polish reapplied. So far I haven't found anyone that can answer this.

• PRO
    Fuze stone
    9 years ago

You can get a professional with polishing pads to take the polish off. You can hand dye the spots and have a varnish applied over your dyed area. Not the ideal solution but beats new slabs and fabrication. You could also de laminate back to the original slab with no built up edges and have it re polished. It will be messy but can be cleaned after wards.

• teddy999
    9 years ago

I have a new home with granite countertops in my kitchen, The granite on the island is garbage, it is so pitted it looks like someone sand blasted it. I have no idea why they installed it. My problem is they are going to replace the island granite and "hope" it matches to the rest of the kitchen granite. I dont think this is the best resolve, I think they should replace all the counters and island with granite that comes from one dyelot. What do you think.

• PRO
    Fuze stone
    9 years ago

Can you post a picture ?

• teddy999
    9 years ago

A picture doesn't show the hundreds of pits, it is so bad the company is replacing the large island slab, they just don't think they will replace the rest of the kitchen as the "hope" it will match ok, the granite that was installed was from one large piece, there is no more left so they want to try and match it as best they can, I don't think granite can be matched , I think it must be all replaced. I really don't want my new kitchen all ripped up but I do want matching granite, I don't think that's to much to ask since the price was steep. And we only picked from a very small sample.

• PRO
    Fuze stone
    9 years ago

They should have never picked up q slab with pitting. I have not seen a slab that came from the showroom with pitting. Did they import these slabs themselves ? They would have for certain seen the pirtong while they were fabricating. You can't miss it. I know a lot of granite has pits that are filled with clear epoxy and factorty polished but that is after they are cut from the actual block. The slabs will match if they are purchased from the same slab yard, however if they are from the same place I would expect the same pitting. Ask to see it before they cut into a slab is my advice. Text me or call if you run into a problem and I can try to advise you from there. (817)247-5331 text is better

• darlagirl50
    8 years ago

This is crazy...Move on

• teddy999
    8 years ago

Not so good information to just move on. I have pursued this and now have the beautiful granite counters that I paid for and expected to have been put in my new home to begin with. If your not happy with your granite, make sure you keep on the contractor and make sure you get what you are happy with.

• rogerc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Glad to hear it worked out for you teddy999! Post a picture of your kitchen if you get a chance.

• PRO
    Ontra Stone Concepts
    8 years ago

Appalling "workmanship". Embarrassing for the entire industry. If a fabricator ever tries to talk you out of mitered edges, it's because a) they don't have the skill or equipment to do it or b) they already quoted a price and are trying to save themselves going over budget. This granite (of which it appears to be two types?!?) should have been mitered, not laminated, from an aesthetic standpoint. Chipping would have had nothing to do with steering you in one direction or another.

This is fly-by-night type of work that needs to be replaced at the cost of the fabricator. Simple. There is no satisfactory fix that any professional fabricator would put their name on and the fact that they would sign their name to what they've done to your island is frankly embarrassing and the mark of an amateur that needs to learn an expensive lesson.

• PRO
    PSDCS
    8 years ago

Fully agree with ontastone on this one. In no way shape or form is this acceptable. I've seen comments that this edge cannot be done or that "this is how it always looks with square edge" which is not the case. The only way to save this granite is to remove the bottom 2 layers and go back to the standard 3cm edge. There is no matching grain with left over pieces or "filling in joints". It will never look right if it's not done correctly the first time these pieces are laminated. I would refuse the product and get a full refund.

• mike rock
    8 years ago

im guessing they have been paid? if not, don't. if you have , appeal to their best nature. if no recourse go to court.. post on yelp , etc. you get more with patience than yelling :) . I didn't see mentioned how the joints on top look? if those are real good (which is the more expensive part to fix if it isn't) ... then this can be salvaged. the square laminate is the way to go. they are right on that. good luck.

• kudzu9
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Since the original post was 2 years ago, I suspect we are long past the point where additional suggestions are useful...

• rogerc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks kudzu9. Actually, I would still appreciate suggestions toward how to tone-down the abruptness of the discontinuous areas.

Our overall remodel was quite extensive and this wasn't the only, nor the worst, problem we've had to deal with. As things moved forward, we've had to live with the granite problem as we haven't yet found a fix... but would definitely still like to.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    8 years ago

I agree with Pyramid comment. Not to mention I never seen an edge being done by laminating 3 pieces of granite...

Is this is over-the-plywood installation and this is why the edge must be added on?

Because that is the only time you encounter laminated edges... They take a narrow 5/8-3/4" Granite slab and glue that on top of 3/4" plywood and attach single edge profile using lamination process to the edge of the slab and plywood to give countertop its thickness to make it look this is a solid slab which is a cheap way of doing that, we called this type of countertop a "Fake Slab"

If this is the case, using this type of countertop you don't need 3 slabs... you only need strips with an edge profile.

In the picture you have 2 similar looking edge strips and one of them came from a different "Lot" or it came from a totally diffrent slab.

Here is an example how this countertops are being done.

• acm
    8 years ago

Guys, the original post is two years old! Lots of good thoughts here, but probably better saved for a newer dilemma.

• kudzu9
    8 years ago

rogerc-

Sorry if I jumped in. I figured you had either resolved it by now or had moved on. And I'm sorry that you didn't find a fix. I've had a 2" mitred edge done previously and it worked fine...but I had very homogeneous granite with little variegation and no inclusions, so I understand why you opted for doing it the way you did. The only thing I can think of is adding an ornamental band of granite that would mask the bottom two layers. If the band was thin and had, maybe, a quarter round top edge, it could look intentional and attractive. It could be either out of the granite you have, if you have leftover material, or something with contrast, like black granite.

• Josie Critt
    7 years ago

Rogerc, I hope you have posted reviews of this company. I work for granite installers and this would have been replaced, at our loss. Further, we don't mix materials (laminate use) like this. We do have some granite on our lot that is stained and it is beautiful. Check with granite wholesalers to do that.