SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pumpkinhouse

Are repairs on new granite countertops normal?

pumpkinhouse
9 years ago

I'm currently having Uba Tuba countertops installed in my kitchen. There are a number of good sized chips and gouges in the edges that are being repaired with black epoxy/filler. My GC says this is standard procedure and we are not getting a second rate, repaired product for full price. Is this true? Is it common practice to fill in big chips? Some are 2 inches long.

Comments (125)

• threegraces
    9 years ago

what.the.hell. This just gets worse and worse. I feel so badly for you being completely taken advantage of. You've received better advice than I could give already but you should definitely not have to accept this terrible work.

This post was edited by threegraces on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 11:39

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

I feel so sorry for pumpkinhouse. It is possible her town may be so small, no other fabricator will be willing to step up. That's how it can be in some places. I think the marble looks worse than the granite, if such a thing were possible. And this is a long time to go without counters.

Pumpkinhouse, you are holding up beautifully. You have shown restraint in not mentioning who your fabricator was, a fact for which they should be grateful. (GardenWeb archives google up with amazing ease and frequency.). I know that countertops are first-world problems, but I would be in tears by now.

• Related Discussions

Repairs in new Soapstone countertop!

Q

Comments (14)
    I had issues with my quartz counter top installation in my kitchen last year and what an ordeal. The seams were completely botched and there were visible chips and scratches in the countertop deck. I do not have any experience with soapstone however...you are paying full price for a supposedly professional installation. Do NOT accept shoddy workmanship!!!! You have the right to have your vanity top installed correctly and without issue. Tell your fabricator that he can attempt to fix the problem, if it is not up to your specifications then you require a full refund...or whatever makes you happy. I am a business owner and simply cannot fathom the way some contractors feel they can bully clients into accepting below par workmanship. Educate yourself and make them responsible! I ended up taking my installer to BBB for remediation and won the case...but I used the good people/other fabricators information from the kitchen forum to help educate myself. Good luck and don't back down.
    ...See More

Help - New Kitchen Granite Countertops Have Uneven Thickness

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks for the feedback to let me know this should not be acceptable. Before buying, I searched online to find out what to expect but didn't find much (mostly advertising.) We bought the countertops through Lowes, but they contracted out the fabricating. I called Lowes and talked to them but haven't heard back. Does anyone else have experience with Lowes and what they do when there is a problem? When a fabricator messes up like that, what usually happens? The counters have already been installed. Should they have to replace it? What a mess if they have to take them off again.
    ...See More

New granite countertops need sealing?

Q

Comments (6)
    Ask your builder. You will need to reseal in the future but normally unless there are things in the contract that are specifically stated as buyer finish the day you receive the keys the house should be move in ready. Move in ready normally means that nothing needs to be done. However there will always be things found that were not completed correctly or simply left undone. It will depend on the state laws and how you are purchasing and your lender's requirements and inspection will be done. A walk through with a clipboard before final close beyond any official inspection is always a good thing. Ask the builder about doing this. If you see anything that seems odd to you make a note of it on the clipboard. At one time builders were more relaxed with these inspections but may limit who and how many are allowed into the dwelling. Plan on wearing booties and face masks. The booties are to prevent any last minute dust, which there will be, from being tracked all over. The face mask is because along with the chance of virus there will be dust in the air. Things I would look at and write down are anything that looks odd be it a difference in how the light reflects off of a hard surface or a line in the carpet when it was from two batches. Electrical outlets secure. There will always be at least one that is loose. Open and close all of the windows, all cabinets, and the garage doors to make certain they work and are easy to move. Sometimes depending on the grade of builder you may need have a long list. Other builders especially when they are aware of what you are doing your list will be small. If the list includes things that are just not to your taste unless they are mechanical or electrical do not expect the builder to correct. Always have your significant other with you it helps for family harmony.
    ...See More

New granite countertops - Is this normal?

Q

Comments (23)
    In the third, more distant photo I found it not very noticeable (the slightly off seam). Joe Corlett, please advise - before filling the chips with glue, would you use a pen to darken the spot, or will the glue naturally blend in the chip? OP, about the pen.... my granite installer used an obviously lighter material in the seam, so it was really visible. I think he had matched the color to the stone before he used color enhancing sealer on it (against my wishes, btw) which darkened the stone......I ended up using a dark permanent marker in irregular dabs on the seam to blend it in.
    ...See More
  • weissman
    9 years ago

Make sure your builder doesn't pay these clowns. You and he have much more leverage if you don't pay them even if they make threats. Their work is totally unacceptable.

• pumpkinhouse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I have been holding off on mentioning the business name because I was hoping this could be resolved amicably and there would be no need. We are avid members of Angie's list, and I will write my review honestly after everything is said and done. I may post it here too eventually, as I don't want any other customers wasting their hard earned money on this garbage.
    My big problem now is this...I have one more contract with them to install glass in two walk in showers. They are delaying that install because the balance on the countertops has not been paid. It's breaching the glass contract, plain and simple, because the terms of their contracts does not say that the status of one contract has any effect on another. Today I realized what the actual legal name of the business is, and I did a search on our state's court access website...71 cases involving them, 2 of which they are plaintiffs , both for construction liens. The 69 cases as a defendant are mostly DWD, DOR and money owed cases. Hindsight is a b!tch!

I agree this is ultimately my builders problem, as the contracts are with him. He is the "can't we all just get along" kind of guy, which is not a fault, but it certainly isn't matching the aggression this fabricator is displaying, so I am doing what I can for now.

This isn't our only big problem with the house...I made another post recently about the 40 crappy walnut doors we received. Will post the link.

• pumpkinhouse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My fugly walnut doors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fugly doors

• pumpkinhouse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And in case anyone wants to feel any more sorry for me, I'm 40+ weeks pregnant. I had asked them for advance notice for when they would be in my home (as opposed to just dropping by as has been the case). No comment from them. I thought it might buy me an ounce or two of pity (and privacy) but I guess not. Not that I expect them to ever show up here again. Moms out there, you know that this is not a good time to have any extra stress and anxiety in your life.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

OH my! To be that pregnant on top of all this mess... I'm so sorry, Pumpkin :(

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Yes! That puts a whole new spin on things. Answers the question why you're not just kicking butts right and left. You need a personal 'butt kicker" while you're in a life supporting/nuturing mode :) I'm afraid they're taking advantage of you and the longer this goes on the easier it is to just let it go. Do you have anyone that is willing to say, we're done with the negotiating. Take it up with my builder or my lawyer, but just get this crap outta here! No ifs ands or butts about it. It seems to me that they're stalling and trying to wear you down.
    My vanity was templated last night. Friday I have an appt with the fabricator to go over everything (holes, backsplash, etc) to my satisfaction. I've used this granite yard for 12 years and this is the first time they've asked me to come out and approve the product.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Pumkinhouse, is the glass contract with the same people who installed the granite? Was your builder responsible for choosing these companies? What about the wood doors from your other thread ... who chose that supplier? What happened with the doors ... did you end up installing them or returning them?

This post was edited by jellytoast on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 17:09

• Vertise
    9 years ago

"My big problem now is this...I have one more contract with them to install glass in two walk in showers. "

"this is ultimately my builders problem, as the contracts are with him. He is the "can't we all just get along" kind of guy, which is not a fault, "

Your gc is not a good, get along kinda guy. He is trying to save himself and stick easy ole you with a pile of doody. On top of all this expensive junk he has installed in your house, you are paying him a whole lot of money to supply reputable contractors, mark up their products and labor and to oversee the work. He is not doing his job or contributing a thing to your project. You are just paying his bills. His K&B shop did not come through. He needs to work out the losses with them. He should have taken care of all this without your needing to say a thing to him or anyone else.

It would be foolish to proceed with yet another project with this K&B store. Put your foot down with the gc once and for all. He has wasted enough of your time, money and energy. The last thing you need is another disaster to rip out.

I can't watch this anymore. Good luck.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"He is the "can't we all just get along" kind of guy, which is not a fault"

It certainly IS a fault when you are paying him to stand up to these hacks and make sure that your job is completed to acceptable standards. The fabricator is still demanding payment? Your contractor needs to be demanding that they get that junk out of your home.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Get a lawyer by lunchtime tomorrow. Otherwise, you're going to find yourself with a lien on your property, crappy countertops and no glass in the bathroom.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

PUMPKIN, if you can, walk away from this house in toto. Better yet..Run, Forest, Run!!!

If this is what your builder is willing to accept in the things you can see, think of what he is getting away with in the things you cannot.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

pumpkinhouse:

We wanna see the baybee. It's our fee for all our good advice.

• pumpkinhouse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry to do this to everyone...I just noticed this enormous fill in a piece of Uba Tuba they finally got around to installing a few days ago. It's black and sparkly and disgusting.

• pumpkinhouse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More orange showing up...

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I guess you already found a lawyer, which is why you have spare time to take more pictures.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Once that baby comes you need a glass of wine...or a whole box of it to go with the guys quality of work.

I would pick a different glass company cause you can bet your shower doors will not fit, be cracked and open the wrong way too.

And the GC will probably show you just how lucky you are to have doors.

To have not made the papers in dealing with this company, you will be a good and very patient parent.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

The orange continuing to "show up" makes me think it's the iron in the stone oxidizing from moisture in the air, as opposed to some sort of chemical or mechanical burn.

Decorate around the orange, 'cause that's what your getting, or tear them out.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"I just noticed this enormous fill in a piece of Uba Tuba they finally got around to installing a few days ago"

I have to ask ...

You already have major problems with the countertops they installed back in September; problems that have remained unresolved. Why were they "back a few days ago" to install more when you are already unhappy with the quality of their work?

I assumed when you first posted that you were looking for guidance or advice on what you should do about your problems. But since nothing seems to be moving in the direction of resolution, but is rather moving in the direction of more dealings with the same installers, I am now thinking that you intend to live with these problems. Which is fine, it's your kitchen and only you can decide what you can live with. But I do think that many of us here who have been following your thread are wondering what your intentions are. Have you decided to accept this work?

• weissman
    9 years ago

Just curious - is this a new house or a remodel? You seem to be using subs that you selected, not your GC. If this is a remodel and you picked the subs, then why does your GC have responsibility for paying them. If this is a new build, I'm surprised your GC let you pick your own subs.

I agree with marcolo, you probably need legal advice to sort this out. You don't want this sub to continue with these awful counters but you also don't want them to put a lien on your house - although I'm pretty certain that you would prevail when any reasonable judge saw this shoddy work. If this is a remodel, then it might be time to ditch your GC as well unless he starts demanding the quality from the subs that you deserve and are paying for.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

This thread has grown very long, so it's possible I've missed an explanation. My understanding is the OP picked the fabricator, not the GC. So how is the GC responsible and how can he be expected to correct this situation?

I had a GC for my bathroom remodel, but I took care of my countertop exclusive of my contract with the GC. I bought it and dealt on my own with the fabricators/installers. It was all on me.

• weissman
    9 years ago

You're right linelle - but the OP says that the fabricator has been badgering the GC for the payment which is why I was confused by the arrangement. If the GC is responsible for paying the fabricator then he is responsible for ensuring the quality of the work before paying.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I think the OP picked the K&B store but the builder has the contracts with them.

Your builder really has to man up and have a direct talk with the K&B people. Since the contract is signed by the builder, it's up to him to solve the problem. I would have a heart to heart with the builder - I would tell him I want all the counters removed by such and such a time and date. I would tell him that I have lost all confidence in the K&B store doing a good job anywhere in the house and I am beginning to question the builder's ability to complete the job in a satisfactory manner. Someone needs to break the log jam and get on with it.

• kksmama
    9 years ago

Pumpkinhouse, thank you for sharing the story and pictures here. I'm glad you'll be posting on Angie's List - this fabricator needs to be nudged toward finding another occupation. Stop him from further messing up your house (by hiring a lawyer and/or locking the door to him) while you focus on your new baby's arrival. Kitchens come and go, but the space/time around childbirth is sacred and should be defended.

• pumpkinhouse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jelly toast-- the stuff they installed a few days ago was part of the original plan that they "forgot about" the first time around. It's new construction so I'm not always around to see who shows up to do work. I showed up and there it was.

• pumpkinhouse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is new construction. Our GC let's us select subs. Subs like electrician and plumber are guys he always works with, but for other things like countertops, HVAC and flooring we've selected ourselves. The contracts are between him and the subs though. Does this clear things up?

• pumpkinhouse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all the comments and advice. I've emailed photos of all the issues to the K&B manager and they are looking into a possible solution. I've asked my GC to arrange for another fabricator to come in next week for his opinion and a quote to remove and replace everything in case that doesn't pan out.
    I've been trying to take a diplomatic approach and not burn any bridges. It's so much easier if problems can be worked out amongst ourselves without the help of lawyers and the courts. They haven't told me to F off yet so I can work with that.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"It's so much easier if problems can be worked out amongst ourselves without the help of lawyers and the courts."

True that!

Thanks for clarifying regarding the subs. It sounds like you have initiated a move in the right direction. Hope it all gets worked out and resolved to your satisfaction. Do let us know what happens.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I've been trying to take a diplomatic approach and not burn any bridges.

This is absolutely a great way to go and I believe in it 100%. However, sometimes this results in being misconstrued as a pushover and that's what you want to avoid. it's fine to be sweet but just don't back down if they propose something you don't agree with.

• gone_south
    9 years ago

I keep checking back on this thread to look for updates, and with each picture the situation only looks worse. I do hope your builder will go to bat with the installer on this. I agree with trying hard to make the diplomatic approach work. I hope the builder can get it resolved correctly. Hang in there!

• romy718
    9 years ago

I'd tell your GC you don't want them back in your home until this is resolved. And I wouldn't let them back in my home, ever. Not even to remove their cr_p job.

• needinfo001
    9 years ago

So what happened?
    Did your come up with a resolution?
    Did the baby came yet?

• weissman
    9 years ago

Have you closed on this house yet? It may be too late, but I'd at least consider the possibility of just walking away. Between the cabinets and the counters, this whole house sounds like a disaster. Sure it's nicer to work things out with your builder, but ultimately you may may end up with a house that you're really unhappy with at a stressful time in your life. I think you should at least consult with an attorney to understand your options in the event that the builder doesn't deliver a house that you're satisfied with. Good luck.

• TB151
    9 years ago

Im so sorry to see this. In my opinion, the tiem for diplomacy has passed. You need to be very aggressive and bring in legal support.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

I can't believe your frustration level hasn't won out yet. I know you'd like to be diplomatic & not bring in the atty's, but pumpkinhouse, I think you're past that pt. I'm not sure I'd have much faith in your GC, at this point, either. From your door thread, it appears that hasn't been resolved & that was almost 3 months ago. This has been going on around 2 months & still no resolution that I can see. I think Trebruchet had great advice for you. This is what he does & from seeing his work, apparently he knows what he's talking about.

"pumpkinhouse:

This is not an ad, but I've helped several people get their money back or a settlement with a fabricator. You have to hire someone who's qualified to compare the work they've done to the MIA standards with pictures. Have your attorney present this report to them and the builder. They will fold, I promise. That's what happened for the last two people I've done this for.

The worst thing is to worry about the money you've spent. Spend a little more and you'll get a decent settlement. You need to buy a figurative club to beat them with."

I wish you all the best & that everything comes out as it should.

Let us know when you have your baby.

• pumpkinhouse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm back for an update and my baby is already 6 weeks old! And my house still isn't done yet despite the fact that the builder said it would be done in August! We have been living here for 8 weeks because I refused to bring my baby home to a hotel room, which is where we were staying from the time our apartment lease ended and when the baby came. I have spent the last two months trying to nurse a newborn in privacy with worker dudes everywhere in my house, and keep a curious two year old away from dangerous tools and chemicals they leave laying around.

The fabricator replaced some of the Uba Tuba. There are no edge chips that are noticeable, but I don't think the seams are any better. The LED undercabinet lights were just installed, and I now can see these huge spots of haze around the seams they filled. I think this is epoxy? Any idea if this can be removed? Does it involve more harmful chemicals with my babies around?

The other thing about the replacement is they totally scratched up the tops of my frameless solid walnut cabinets. I assume they are not used to the frameless fronts going right up to the counter, so they scraped the tops over them. $600+ worth of damage right there. One dude also totally dropped an entire drawer assembly right in front of me, and wouldn't even admit it right away when I mentioned it to another installer who did not see it. He eventually did admit it, but in the meantime he tried to make me look like a liar.

They are replacing the orange marble next week with a quartz. I really had my heart set on marble. There are fabricators out there competent enough to handle marble, but this is not one of them. Wish me luck.

• pumpkinhouse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My poor walnut cabinet, one of many they are paying to replace.

Forgot to mention, they walked off with my $250 prep sink faucet that was in the original install. They are eluding my questions about it because I'm sure it's been trashed.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

pumpkinhouse:

I'm going to trade you a possible solution to your haze problem for a baby picture. Deal? Good. I'll go first:

It looks like your "fabricators" may have attempted some sort of mechanical polishing at the seams. The've apparently run through the grits, but don't have the final pop. Have them use MB 20 on a hogs hair pad. Careful, you can get beyond factory with this stuff. Defusco Industrial Supply has both.

• practigal
    9 years ago

Your builder and everyone else involved in the process would prefer for you to just put up and shut up. They are trying to assist you in doing this by doing nothing. Do not accept this treatment or a poor fix. They have already failed to fix it properly. I would start asking for a return on Monday. If these countertops are so acceptable let them go install them in their own homes. Please be sure and post reviews with photos on yelp or Angie's list or whatever is used in your community. Please be sure and contact the state license board to complain. Please be sure to contact the Better Business Bureau. You have demonstrated a lot of patience. They have demonstrated that they want you to eat this job. Enough of this.

• pumpkinhouse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The saga continues Thanksgiving morning...I went to use my new prep sink for the first time this morning and noticed another huge chip in the new granite. DH says this is natural material and this will happen. If granite looked like this normally, no one would have it in their kitchen. This is the fabricators way of saying happy thanksgiving to me :(

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

In your previous posts, you said the contractor was demanding payment. Did you go ahead and pay him for this work? I do hope you have some money held out on this job. I would refuse to pay another cent until this job was corrected by someone qualified to do it, meaning, specifically, NOT the guy who has already failed in two attempts.

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    9 years ago

OP you are way more tolerant that I would be. I'd have thrown those clowns off the job months ago without giving them one cent and had every last inch of that junk stone ripped out of my house.

Complete and utter lack of respect for their own craft or workmanship. Though with a crap product like that it hardly stands to call them craftsmen.

• pumpkinhouse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We've paid half down, $3000. The fabricator desperately wants full price which is why they've replaced some of it. Anyone know if there are different qualities if granite, particularly Uba tuba? Did I mention there's another big sparkly fill in the new stuff? They claim it is natural. I've never seen sparkly chunks in granite. It's like glitter. It's so offensive.

• pumpkinhouse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot about this with the marble...the orange stain seeped all the way through the entire 3cm thickness onto my sink! It wiped off but geez, what did they use to cause this. They have no idea what they are doing.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

pumpkinhouse:

I'm gonna tell you how to fix the sink chip, but I'm gettin' my baby picture first. :)

• gone_south
    9 years ago

WTF? Your marble is bleeding onto your sink? How is that even possible? This is the worst kitchen nightmare I've seen. And it just keeps getting worse.
    :-(

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Gone_South:

That marble is loaded with natural iron. It's a bleeder; nothing anyone can do.

• gone_south
    9 years ago

Trebruchet, is their a way to test for bleeding like that when you are shopping for a slab?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Gone_South:

Natural iron in stone should give itself away just by the moisture in the air. I had a lady call me complaining of her granite turning more orange as time went on. I doubt a slab yard is going to allow you to keep a wet towel covered in plastic wrap over the corner of a slab for too long.