Scotland here I come!
7 days ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (15)
Related Discussions
How do I enlarge this thread when I come on here?
Comments (7)Joyce, Are you referring to the little red house cartoon? Do you have any slide bars at the bottom of the browser window? Are you sure holding ctrl and tapping + or tapping - does nothing? On my FF I can use them to move the little house all over the screen when resizing the browser view. Though a reset was previously referred through use of the keyboard, how about via the toolbar View>Zoom>Reset? DA...See MoreHaving to log in each time I come here.
Comments (15)Finally I found the problem with Firefox. I had to allow third party cookies in order to come on and not have to log in. I am sending two links for you to read. http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fix-login-issues-on-websites-requrie-passwords#w_enable-cookies-for-the-website http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/disable-third-party-cookies Please tell me what you think about this. One talks about making sure third party cookies are checked not sure what they mean about the disable- third- party cookies. But that was what the problem was, once I put the check mark in for third party cookies I stopped having problems with logging in. thirdfrt!!!...See MoreRustic Modern Cottage/Cabin, here I come!
Comments (15)Flyleft, the main reason we won't build for a year or 18 months is financial. We can't do it all at once financially, so we will spread the costs over at least two years, and try to stick to a modest budget. I've been wanting to do this for years and we probably should have waited another year, but the right lot at the (almost) right price came along and we couldn't resist! Annie, both aspects are important to us, so we'll do our best. I read (but haven't corroborated) that landfills are 60 percent waste from building materials and sites, so it is something to consider I think. We definitely want to use materials that won't need replacing in a decade, ie metal roof, etc. The best building site (i think) is east facing. We could build on the north side of the lake, but it would be more of a mountain view than water view as the lake isn't wide at that spot. But even with east facing, we could add windows south facing for a winter sole thermal gain. I'd love to do geothermal, but don't think it will be in the budget right now. We probably won't use the cottage much in winter (not in Jan and Feb anyway) for the next few years. Probably we will have to use electricity for now (the electric power is derived from dams and is very, very cheap where we will build)....See Morei might have one of the largest/oldest ash trees in scotland
Comments (3)Sorry if this fact changes your trees stats. With a co-dominant stemmed specimen like yours thats open grown compared to one continuous trunk example in forest. First measure each diverging trunks lower diameter, then determine average between both. Take that figure and divide by pie 3.1 to determine DBH. But now if your double trunked tree was produced by coppice stump shoot regrowth. Root system could be older, research coppice stool width to estimate age. No doubt since Scotts Ash very similar to our Green Ash, like Elm they mature between ages 180-220, and 1 out of four live 300 years and more. Coppiced ones in UK over 1500 yr old rootsystems! Here is link to my blog including photos of chicago's oldest ashes I have protected against EAB. https://scottieashseed.wordpress.com/...See More- 7 days agolast modified: 7 days agohobbitmom thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
Related Stories

TRAVEL BY DESIGN‘Here Comes the Neighborhood’: Street Art Transforms a Miami District
Thanks to a developer with vision, a hardscrabble industrial area becomes a must-see art destination (but keeps some of its grit)
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESMove Over, Neutral Sofa — Here Comes Color
Sometimes it makes sense to ignore the conventional wisdom about furniture and make a bold, colorful statement
Full Story
HOME TECHHere Come the Home Robots — for Real
This is the droid you're looking for. Humanoid servants are poised to finally be of service around the home
Full Story
SPRING GARDENINGSpring Gardens Are Waking — Here’s What to Do in March
Excitement fills the air when gardens come back to life. These guides will help you make the most of yours
Full Story
HOME TECHAre the Latest High-Definition TVs for You? Here’s What to Know
See what’s new with 4K ultra HD televisions and projectors, and find out what they will cost you
Full Story
KITCHEN CABINETSChoosing New Cabinets? Here’s What to Know Before You Shop
Get the scoop on kitchen and bathroom cabinet materials and construction methods to understand your options
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESKeep Your Cool in the Garden — Here’s What to Do in August
Don’t let summer’s heat go to your head. These U.S. gardening guides will help you make sensible choices for all of your plantings
Full Story
MOVINGRelocating? Here’s How to Make the Big Move Better
Moving guide, Part 1: How to organize your stuff and your life for an easier household move
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGIt’s Time to Clean Your Gutters — Here’s How
Follow these steps to care for your gutters so they can continue to protect your house
Full StorySponsored
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths



colleenoz