SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellyj0987

Kitchen Cabinets Sizes/Placement

kellyj0987
20 days ago

I am struggling with cabinet size/placement on the “rangetop” wall.

To the right of the 33” double oven cabinet are the following:

wall cabinets 27”—42” (hood)—27”—36”; base cabinets 30”—36”—30”—36” (corner lazy Susan).

I can basically make any combination (within standard sizes) of wall and base cabinets—but what can’t change is (1) placement of the wall oven cabinet, (2) 42” hood size; 36” rangetop/cabinet; and 36” lazy Susan corner cabinet.

I could live with drawing as is (though I will likely swap the base cabinets for drawers), EXCEPT I do not like the 36” wall cabinet at the far right. It is much larger than the other wall cabinets, and it will require leaning across the counter to reach the knob/pull and then it will swing out to the left toward me and make it difficult to access the contents of the cabinet. So the path of least resistance would be to swap out the 36” cabinet for a 12” and a 24” or a 15” and a 21.” That way I could easily access the contents in the 12” or 15” cabinet (will likely use for spices, etc.) because that door would swing open to the right and then the 24” or 21” end cabinet would be for storage/infrequently used items. Not sure if a 12” would look too “matchy” because it would be directly above the 12” lazy Susan door on that side? Or if 15 would look odd ending over the counter?

Aesthetically, I do like that the base cabinets (I may switch for drawers) on either side of rangetop are symmetrical, but if anyone thinks base cabinets should be different, I’m not opposed to moving the rangetop over to the right. I have 60” to work with because because of the 36” rangetop cabinet and 36” lazy Susan. (The only other consideration is that on the sink side adjacent to the lazy Susan is a dishwasher. If the dishwasher is fully open I don’t want to block the front of the rangetop/cabinet, so the rangetop can move to the right but the right side of the rangetop can’t be further over than 51” from the right side wall (24” plus 27” from counter.))

Would definitely appreciate opinions on best sizes/placement. Thank you!

Comments (32)