SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

Size of recessed medicine cabinet? Placement? Vote!

bluekitobsessed
15 years ago

I removed the existing recessed medicine cabinet, which is on a small wall next to the vanity, along with the mirror that used to span the whole wall. I'd originally planned to replace the big mirror with a RH 18 x 24" pivot mirror and the med cabinet with a RH Cartwright recessed med cabinet. The old med cabinet's recessed side is 13" wide, there is no more than 14" between the studs (might even be a fraction under), and I'm foreseeing a disaster if I buy a 14" or wider recessed med cabinet.

My vanity has no storage drawers, and the bathroom may be inhabited by an 85 year old with pills who already thinks I need more storage space, so a med cabinet is a necessity. Here is a pic (the medicine cabinet is on the wall you can't see at the far right side of the photo):

and, fwiw, the floor plan I drew (med cabinet at bottom of drawing):

I think my options are:

1. Use mirror as planned, buy 14" med cabinet, and hope it fits...may need to notch or shave down studs? This is well beyond my nonexistent carpentry skills! How do y'all handle this?

2. Switch location of med cabinet and mirror, install large wall mounted (not recessed) med cabinet. When standing at sink, would it be weird to have med cabinet facing you and mirror to side?

3. Keep mirror above vanity, put a wall mounted med cabinet somewhere on opposite wall. Again, would it be weird to have to turn around to opposite wall (even if it's only 5') to get to toothpaste, pills, etc?

4. Install wall mounted med cabinet in current location: I don't like this because of the claustrophobic feeling I had when I tried it. RH sent me a wall mount Cartwright med cabinet by mistake. It projects 7.5," which seems to be too far into the space above a 36" x 24" vanity.

TIA.

Comments (3)