SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_jukem

No more white shaker cabinets in the kitchen?

Jerry Jukem
20 days ago

We're finally getting around to remodeling our kitchen and were going to go with white, shaker cabinets with a blue island (see renderings.)

Buuuuut, it sort of looks like we're reaching the end of the white, shaker style kitchen cabinet trend. If that's the case, would anyone have any recommendations for a different style that's somewhat modern but won't look outdated in a few years?

Also, if anyone has any design recs after looking at our renderings, please feel free to share. Thanks

Comments (43)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    20 days ago

There is nothing modern about shaker- they still look great in the right setting (I'm doing a 1917 colonial with them right now) but I would not put them in a modern house. What is the style of the rest of the house?

• Jerry Jukem
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Rest of house is builder grade early 2000's. We're tyring to give it a modern look.

• Related Discussions

white shaker cabinets, wood beam accents, white quartz, appliances?

Q

Comments (27)
    I would remove from the equation the idea of white appliances having an effect on resale. No one says "I love the house, but forget it, it has a white range!" What is key to this whole discussion and has not been addressed is how much are you willing to spend on your appliances. The solution to your dilemma would be to panel the dishwasher and the fridge, and the fridge must be a fully-integrated style to pull this off. This will be very expensive. For the range, there are some lovely white ranges out there by Bertazzoni, Bluestar, Smeg, Miele, Lacanche for example, but those tend to be much more expensive than the old-style type of white range. There was a recent thread where someone posted about a white Kitchenaid range that looked fresh and not old-style, and was not priced as high as the other names I've mentioned, so look into that. I have a panelled DW, stainless fridge, white range, and stainless hood. I love it. The range is so easy to clean compared to a stainless range. The pairing of the white range with the stainless hood looks clean and fresh. The DW panelling does not show water drips the way stainless does. I was not willing to pay the $9000+ for an integrated fridge, so I am fine with my stainless one. (I am "lusting" a little for the white Miele fridge that Miller pictured above). One last note - your mention of the wood beams worries me. I know it's not what you asked, but adding wood beams has the potential to look very nice or to look artificial, "faux". A lot depends on your ceiling height. Make sure you have thought this through.
    ...See More

Are white cabinets going out of style? What are more common kitchen t

Q

Comments (99)
    White Shaker cabinets are timeless and beautiful, as are white subway tile with black black grout. What is NOT timeless and beautiful are trendy expensive items like farmhouse apron sinks, black faucets, glass tile etc...anything that makes it clear the exact year the renovation was done. If you want trendy, stick to items easily replaced, like drawer pulls and knobs, pictures, even paint. Plain slab cabinet doors with hidden pulls look like a dentist's office...it's a kitchen, not a surgical suite. FYI: All those kitchens are way too busy, way too much going on, especially in the backsplashes, and the idea of a white kitchen floor is laughable. And please stop making a big deal out of the range hood which for some reason has become the focus of the room!
    ...See More

White Shaker Cabinets in Kitchen and Living Room Built-in?

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm with Barnes & GreenDesigns. " Only high gloss cabinets can travel through the house. Is this true? " What a load of bull pucks! Take a look around Houzz for inspiration & you'll get your answer. This person shouldn't be in design I would ask your "IKEA Designer" a couple of questions. What is her experience/years as a Designer? Where did she get her training? How many kitchens has design? How many has she sold? How many high gloss has she sold? Chances are the answers will be I just started (within a couple years) IKEA A few A few A few A good designer should listen to what their client wants & needs, should recommend based on experience, & guide the client without being biased by their own likes & dislikes.
    ...See More

White shaker cabinets and two panel shaker doors, but what trim

Q

Comments (2)
    Do you mean the trim molding shape or the trim color?
    ...See More
  • RedRyder
    20 days ago

I agree that white shaker never looks out of style.

• lucky998877
    20 days ago

People use the word "modern" in different ways. Do you really mean modern, or just up to date? I'm asking because I hear it all the time, but actually a true modern is not what those people are talking about...and early 2000 builder grade home might lean more traditional or tuscan than modern. Please post some inspo pictures and some other rooms. Yes, do something different...white shaker is way overused!

• kandrewspa
    20 days ago

There were white Shaker cabinets in the house I lived in up through 2020. They were installed in 1997. They had inset doors and fit very well into the colonial style home which was built in 1945. When I remodel my current kitchen in a couple years I will do white Shaker whether they're in or not because I like them. My kitchen faces north and is too dark with wood cabinets, and the house is not modern style. I agree with the people who say white Shaker is timeless.

The other thing I think is timeless is doing what you like, no matter what the decade is. Especially if you're going to be in your house a long time, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. You're the one who is looking at it, using it and paying for it. If you're concerned about resale you only need to avoid doing something extreme. There is a lot of room in the middle for different tastes.

• la_la Girl
    20 days ago

Agree that white Shaker cabs are pretty classic - I put them in back in 2008

I do think the "white box" kitchen is a bit overdone (white cabs + white large veined counters + white backsplash tile etc..) - especially when everything in the house leans more earth tones

• k8cd
    20 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

If you like white shaker cabinets, use them!

I am curious about the angled pantry wall and why it’s built that way.

Here’s a post about kitchen layouts -

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2699918/looking-for-layout-help-memorize-this-first#n=121

You may also want to search on Houzz about corner sinks.

Hopefully a pro will weigh in about your layout. But a few things I notice -

1. The island cuts off your walking path to the fridge.

2. Can the windows move? If so, I would center the sink on the range wall with a window above. And put the range on the wall with the mini fridge (wine rack?) And adjust the island size so it doesn‘t cut into the walk way.

Or move the sink onto the mini fridge wall, with a window above.

2. If keeping the original layout- I would center the range between the window and cabinets instead of the wall.

Everyone will also tell you to use large lower drawers instead of cabinets.

• jo mu
    20 days ago

I think like others have said shaker is timeless. However I circled I personally think is never in style and makes things look builder grade. Imo the beauty of shaker is best when it's seamless. Those spaces that are recessed in the renderings are taking away from the look of your kitchen

I also don't think this corner pantry looks good also won't the fridge arm knock into it when you open? Why is it's angled there?

• Jerry Jukem
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Unfortunately, the angled pantry wall must stay. It's load bearing and more than we want to spend in this house to remove it. We hate it but it has to stay. We're really just updating the existing layout.

• rebunky
    20 days ago

White shaker cabinets are timeless!

Now as far as the layout, I am not a pro, but I see quite a bit that I would change. If you are open to feedback, this thread tells what information we need in order to help you.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5500789/faq-how-do-i-ask-for-layout-help-what-information-should-i-include

I also am not a fan of corner sinks. But if it must stay, it is best to not have a DW adjacent to a corner sink because it make you feel a little boxed in. I would do a small cabinet to the right of the sink, (maybe 9” or 12”), and then the DW. You have plenty of space on that wall. I actually would move the fridge to the end of that wall where the beverage fridge is. Then move the beverage fridge to the other side.

Same thing with the trash cabinet being right next to the sink base. I would do a 9” tray cabinet for cutting boards/baking sheets to the left of the sink and then the trash.

It looks like you are trying to have the range perfectly centered to the room and the island? It does not need to be centered. It needs to feel balanced. I am sorry to be blunt, but that super skinny wall cabinet to the right of the hood looks ridiculous imho. You have miles of countertops, but minimal where you need it the most which is in between your sink and stove for prepping. I would slide the range to the left and put two decent sized drawer bases on the sides. I would lose the two skinny pullouts.

Also, I would definitely have the hood 6” wider then the range for better capture of fumes.

I would really love to straighten out that angled pantry wall too, but I better quit spending your money!!! 😂

• enajasereht
    20 days ago

I would go with more drawers than doors. Definitely better use of space IMO.

• RoyHobbs
    20 days ago

No, we are not ”reaching the end” - Shaker cabinets are classic. I am surprised you are concerned with that, yet not concerned with the real trends that are over in your kitchen - black hardware like raisins in a rice pudding, and an island waterfall counter in a kitchen not suited to it and on an island not large enough to carry it off. Now those are looks that are over.

• J Mig
    20 days ago

I understand that you can’t take out the angled loadbearing wall. Can you build it out, so that those cabinets are not tucked into that corner next to the fridge? I know the concern then would be distance to the island, but I think the island could actually be reshaped to be more efficient for the kitchen layout.

• aem04
    20 days ago

You cannot have the dishwasher directly next to the corner sink. You must have a cabinet between the corner sink and the dishwasher - typically a trash pull-out of 18”. If you have the dishwasher directly next to the corner sink like in your rendering, you will be trapped at the sink when the DW door is open. I had a hard time finding a photo of a corner sink with DW directly next to it because no one does it.

How it’s supposed to be:

• Boxerpal
    20 days ago

What do you love? Get what you love. I have shaker cabinets. They are indeed timeless and I love them but my next kitchen will not have them. The problem with a popular look is everyone does it including builders because buyers want it. When I think about our next kitchen I am leaning toward the a slightly more contemporary style. I am not sure why but I am finding myself enjoying the look. I like the simplicity and the calmness I feel when I see these kitchens.

I love your waterfall countertop.

When I see waterfall tops, I think of this kitchen

Boerum Hill · More Info

or this one...

I love this one with shaker cabs and the waterfall counter like yours

Heather Lane Project · More Info

• aem04
    20 days ago

Sorry I got OT about the DW placement in my prior comment, so to get back to your OP concern, I’ll apologize again about jumping on the bandwagon. But the Shaker cabinetry is the only thing in your kitchen that is timeless. Much of your design is able to be pinned to 2017-2022. That is NOT a criticism, because you’ll go crazy trying to be ahead of trends. It’s impossible. But I’d still ditch the blue color on the island, the waterfall, and the narrow pullouts adjacent to the range.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    19 days ago

I think you are fine with the shaker in white and the blue. As long as YOU love it. Right now folks are warming up the color of their kitchens - warm whites and light wood tones are back in fashion. Everything is cyclical - it is all about how the pendulum swings that particular year.

I believe the colors are popular now as a rally against the stark all white kitchens then never seemed to get the personality they deserved.

a few comments on the layout though ( if things can change ):

The waterfall end on the island just looks bad, plus it is stopping you from even appreciating the blue outside the kitchen ( it is hundreds of $$ wasted ); please move the stove to the left ( the counter between sink and stove should be your larger work space ); definitely deal with the dishwasher as mentioned above; without dimensions, it is hard to even comment on the island's existence ( It doesn't really look to be fitting well at all ), do you really need it? ; the little bit of blue cabinets doesn't seem like enough with size of the room - would you consider doing the pantries in the blue also? ; I do suggest some more drawers as well .

Just some thoughts!

Good luck!!

• RoyHobbs
    19 days ago

@Boxerpal those kitchens you've posted are beautiful. But they are making my earlier point that the OP's kitchen is not suited to an island waterfall counter. The kitchens you show are quite large, with high ceilings. The islands in them are large, with a great deal of space available for seating. In those settings, the island waterfall counters look great. The OP's kitchen and island are not like either of those examples in any way, and that is why the waterfall does not belong. I am trying to save the OP money and disappointment.

• Jerry Jukem
    Original Author
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

We're scrapping the waterfall. Agree that it doesn't fit.

• mmc429
    19 days ago

If anything, the blue island is what’s trendiest here. Add some interest and personal touches and the trends diminish.

• H202
    19 days ago

White shaker is timeless. The blue island is 2021. That's what is making the kitchen feel like a trend that passed. (I don't think people should worry about chasing trends, or installing something that they love even if it is a trend that passed - but here it's clear even the OP thinks there's something off about the stylings). If you look at Houzz homepage these days, it's all moss green cabinets. No more blue. Amazing how quickly that happened.

• bachbabe
    19 days ago

Ditch the lower cabinet with the short upper cabinet stacked on top. The cabinet lines from pantry to wall cabinets should run evenly. As drawn, the line disrupts that. Don’t give up counter space by putting a cabinet on top of it. You have a lot of storage else where.

• Amber Winebarger
    19 days ago

I, personally, can’t stand white kitchens. Yes they’re clean but also very boring, lackluster & 7 out of 10 kitchen upgrades choose white. If that’s your preference, by all means, go for it but if you’re concerned about trends….eh, I’d maybe deliberate a bit longer and determine what you truly like. Shaker cabinets are fine but color does make a big difference.

What are the dimensions of your kitchen including height?

• Amber Winebarger
    19 days ago

Here are my suggestions. Download MagicApp, get your dimensions & render from above, you can get a flow of the kitchen solely on layout & adjust cabinetry as needed. I’m not a fan of the fridge/pantry area. Is the diagonal wall existing or a modification? Do you prefer your range hood to show or be built in?

If you want something more timeless, I would suggest not mixing two painted surfaces. I’d think about a white oak finish or another wood if your choice in place of white. I’ve attached some photos. Check out Lanaehome.com, they have white oak slim shaker style and regular shaker for very cheap & they’re plywood boxes & wood fronts. They ship quick as I’ve ordered 2 cabinets from them when so was in a pinch. They also have much more options to customize configurations.

• Amber Winebarger
    19 days ago

Wood/Blue

• Jerry Jukem
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Thanks for all the comments everyone. These are great. Def giving us some things to think about.

• Boxerpal
    19 days ago

@Jerry Jukem glad you got some ideas. That is what I love about Houzz all the ideas, creativity and suggestions. @RoyHobbs is correct your space isn't going to accommodate a waterfall even though it sure is pretty. .And the corner sink is going to be a struggle @k8cd had some great points.

Looking forward to seeing your space come together.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    19 days ago

Shaker and all of its variations do well because you can dress it up or down depending on the thickness of the profile & the hardware you use.

Here are some alternate styles

• PRO
    lisedv
    18 days ago

I like the choice of your white shaker cabinets. The only thing I'm not sure of is the blue island because of it's shape, it seems almost square and has a boxy appearance because it's dark among all the white cabinets. I'd make it white.

• chloe00s
    18 days ago

Rebunky is absolutely correct about the corner sink with the dishwasher right next to it! My kitchen designer did a great job on our kitchen layout, except he put the dishwasher right next to the corner sink! Fortunately we realized the issue before the cabinet installation was finished, and rearranged - moved a small drawer cabinet between the corner sink cabinet and the dishwasher. You should do the same - take the drawer cabinet at the end of the dishwasher run and move it to between the corner sink cabinet and the dishwasher. That gives you enough room to rinse in the sink and turn to put things in the dishwasher with the door open/down. You MUST make that change!

• Kendrah
    18 days ago

If you like shaker go with it. It is timeless.

The angled wall can't be changed, I get it. But there are other tweaks you can do to makeup for the wonky feeling of this room:

1. ) Cabinet to right of fridge sitting on the counter. Make it regular upper, not sitting on counter. 2.) Remove skinny upper and lowers near range. Make the cabinets wider instead. 3.) Make your island rectangular. You'll perhaps not have as much storage in it but it will really help the feel of this room. 4.) Angled sink mirrors the angled wall of cabinets reinforces the awkwardness of both of them. Square off that corner and have the pros on here figure out how to get the sink on a straight wall without costing much more in plumbing and without making new windows. It has to be doable and will greatly open up the feel of the space.

• dan1888
    18 days ago

I'd move the corner sink and dw. A corner sink restricts use by more than one. Also delete the cabinet to the right of the frig, you need counter there. All wide drawers for base cabinets.

White cabinets are a changing design choice because the tone of white has changed over time. You can choose an off-white that is current like Benj Moore White Dove or Decorators White. You then choose floor, counter and backsplash material to coordinate. Instead of a blue island you can use pale white oak or European Oak, if you can find it. You'll have no trouble finding European Oak flooring.

Ikea Vedhamn.

• arcy_gw
    18 days ago

White is classic in some areas. In other's yes it was a trend..DK if it's DONE but what we do know is wood/natural is the rising trend. With the amount of money you are spending--do what makes you happy not what the neighbors are telling you!!

• Olychick
    18 days ago

I think the white cabinets (tho not my personal favorite) probably will remain popular for a long time. What I think will date your kitchen (besides the blue island and the waterfall - which you mentioned you've ditched) are the gray veined countertops. Look for something different to go with your white cabinets. Soapstone is classic or pick a different quartz or granite counter. Tile is making a comeback and there are some nice larger format tiles that really cut down on grout lines. Epoxy grout is much easier to maintain than the older style grouts.

• Kate
    18 days ago

We did this ( I googled and it looks like recessed panel or maybe it’s shaker too just a different one)
    It wasn’t a trend thing to me , I just didn’t want straight shaker look at the same time didn’t want too much trim , raised panel or no trim at all.
    Idk if this helps ..

• Kate
    18 days ago

We also “cut” a corner of the island - have similar layout in that area . Corner sink, lol, dishwasher (there was no other place for it) close to it and it just felt right to have that side being parallel to the sink .

• A C
    18 days ago

I'm certainly no designer, but I don't think white shaker cabinets will ever 'end.' It's the ultimate classic look. However, I do think the 'all-white-everything' look is waaay overdone and has been for several years now, thanks to Joanna Gaines. White or off-white cabinets - yes. White or off-white backsplash - yes. You can add color elsewhere, like in your soft finishes such as rugs, upholstered chairs, walls, art, etc.

Just my 2 cents...

• Kendrah
    17 days ago

Unfortunately, the angled pantry wall must stay. It's load bearing and more than we want to spend in this house to remove it.

I keep thinking about how oppressive the angled wall feels and how to make the room feel more open there without much expense. I'd consider lowers, countertop, and hanging artwork or a few floating shelves above instead of the currently planned full wall of storage. Make this a feature wall of sorts so instead of it feeling like a liability in your new kitchen, it feels like more of an aesthetic asset.

• barncatz
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

As others have said, you have a pincer point entry, magnified by the sink echoing the slant and the little lego block of a kitchen island. I'd use a long stainless cart with shelves to keep the center open. I also agree with Kendrah that the angle wall filled with pantry cupboards makes it worsethan it really is. I think any lower storage on that wall should be long drawers, rather than cupboards. Horizontal lines will help offset the vertical angle, I think.

I was wondering if you could add another window on the window wall across from the panty? That would counter balance the closed in feel of that angled pincer wall by directing the attention out. If not, I'd put some shelves there rather than the current block of cabinets or at least glass doors on those cuboards. I agree, I'd leave some breathing room next to the left window as well, by ditching the narrow upper cabinet currently next to it and the range.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

What you should do is post the floor plan so we can see actual dimensions of what is happening here and a couple of pictures of what is there now.

Going off of someone's layout doesn't really help.

I would also question the thought of everyone pushing a light warm wood tone ( white oak look ) . I happen to love it, but 10 years from now, all those kitchens will reflect back to the mid 2020s. So it is no different then having blue or green or a dark cherry etc etc. It is a vicious cycle.

• chloe00s
    16 days ago

A floor plan would help! I had said you should move the dishwasher from right next to the corner sink, moving the small drawer cabinet to go in between. But then how much room do you have between the dishwasher and the island? Enough to even open the dishwasher? A floor plan would answer that. Island is too square. Looks like the island could be longer without blocking passage to the door?

• earthlyepicure
    16 days ago

I agree, a white shaker is timeless and classic. We're doing a modernish, farmhouse-ish new build. My painted cabinets are all shaker front (various colors, from BM Classic gray, neutrals, to BM Hale Navy). My wood cabinets (not painted) are all face frame slab front, which I think is very clean and modern, yet also elegantly timeless given the wood. So, mixing and matching is OK!