SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
collectorguru

Updating My 2003 Kitchen to 2024

Design2 girl
last month

Hello Houzzers, I am considering tackling our kitchen and would love some input and ideas. We built this home in 2003 and I actually love the way this kitchen functions. I have enough storage with these 48" maple cabinets and the ceilings are 10'. I like the appliance layout, and not looking to interrupt that work flow.

The problem is this raised 2 tier angled island, which I have enjoyed as a bit of barrier while people hang out at the bar, but I'm done with it. I don't enjoy sitting on tall bar stools any more and I want a smooth single level island with the same storage this one provides now. My dilemma is how to manage this angle in the room. While I would love a bright, light, white kitchen, I am also looking for suggestions regarding possibly painting just the island and the hood (which are both currently black) to give this kitchen a refresh and leaving the cabinets the current color OR painting the whole set of kitchen cabinets. Is that a feasible option to update this space?

I am bound by this tile floor because it is massive and goes into the laundry room, back entry, etc. and we are not changing this tile. Its darker than I would like, and I am uncertain if it would support a white cabinet kitchen. Would love your opinions on that as well.

I want to replace the countertops with lighter, brighter stone, and a different configuration of this angled island. Would love to see your before and after pics of managing such a kitchen refresh.

Lovett kitchen Ideas · More Info

Walls are not as yellow as these pics appear, painted SW Steamed Milk and works great with the floor. Trim is BM Decorator White. I don't want to change the wall color as my entire house is painted this color.

Distressed black island with good look at the tile floor

My outdated command post, I can't get rid of the desk area, I use it like a boss.

This is my very shallow massive pantry. Great storage, but needs an update. Open to ideas here. This is located on the wall opposite the desk area.

Thanks in advance if you made it this far.

Comments (44)