SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_250784160

Designing a kitchen that has yellow/orange original floors…

C A
last month
last modified: last month

Hi

I am designing a kitchen in this space which has original hexagon yellow/orange floors with a burgundy border. They are over 100 years old and I am NOT ripping them out.

I am thinking of going for a blue/periwinkle color to be opposite in the color wheel of the floor color, complimentary. I was thinking either do all the walls and the cabinets in this light periwinkle, including the window/doors. There are two doors, one that leads into the kitchen and one that leads out where the inner building courtyard is. There is not a lot of natural light reaching the kitchen. Or I would do the light color on the walls and go a couple shades darker for the cabinets and doors/window.

I love decorative arts so the one wall on the render that is not showing will have a vintage cabinet that will tie in the yellows, blues and burgundy in some folk art type decorative painting that reflects locally. I am not in USA, not making an ikea kitchen btw. Going for color and North African vibe where I am at.

The renders do NOT accurately show the type of cabinets exactly I want to build cause the application only has ikea kitchens and sconces and shapes I would not choose. But I’m showing it cause it shows the layout and the color samples I got at my local paint store for walls and cabinets. One render shows light periwinkle shade for walls and cabinets and the other shows if I did a different tone for the cabinets and window/door.

I want to go for colors and I love blue and white china pieces and thought they could feature well. The yellow/orange floors are a bit weird but wondering if an opposite color on the wheel would be interesting and I could tie them in with local ceramic arts as well as the decorative cabinet.

Curious what other pros would do working with these color floors.

The original floors and the paint sample, excuse the renovation mess!

Cabinets, trim and walls same periwinkle

Darker on cabinets and trim

Trim dark but cabinets and wall in lighter periwinkle

Comments (44)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!