SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
need2seegreen

maintenance of lino tile in kitchen - what is the reality?

hi!

So, although we might just give in and get some type of VCT, just bc it is supposed to be so low-maintenance - I am still eyeing the linoleum tile. (I think tile is better just in case something leaks. I think that something will eventually leak. It's a kitchen.)

What is the daily, weekly, annual reality of having linoleum tile in a kitchen? I am a pretty terrible housekeeper. Frankly, I am used to doing pretty much nothing every day, as far as flooring. (I do change shoes when I come in the house.)

Then, when I check the maintenance page for Marmoleum, for example, it talks about daily cleaning. See https://forbo.blob.core.windows.net/forbodocuments/38311/CG%20Caring%20for%20Marmoleum%20with%20Topshield%20pro%20v4.20.pdf Is this just a CYA thing, or are there people who mop every day? (Happy for you if so!) I don't even have one of those machines.

It's possible I could vacuum every day - but that's all. (And, I probably wouldn't.) Whereas, putting on a fresh coat of some polish or whatnot every year might be likely to happen - assuming I can pay someone to do it for me (it sounds hard).

So is this a bad idea for "people like me?" I admit it, I wish I were better about cleaning. (But my To-Do list is fearsome and just seems to get longer.)

All input is appreciated! I hope I don't sound mopey - I know this is no one's fault but my own. (It is just that linoleum is so darned gorgeous. I am having trouble finding something fake that I don't hate. We might do wood but I need to figure out the height of the dishwasher - which isn't in the manual??!! Another whole saga. Whatever we do get, we will keep to the bitter end.)

Thanks for reading if you made it this far.

Comments (5)