SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molly_phillips5546059

Reality bites - dealing with budgets

Molly Phillips
11 years ago

I'm working on my kitchen mini-remodel....which is rapidly going astray, especially once I got layout advice from you good people. :)

I need some perspective.

I got a quote from a respected cabinet guy the other day. He quoted out completely replacing our current cabinets (which are natural hickory) with paint grade maple (which I prefer), OR adding to our current hickory cabinets and revamping what we have as much as possible to go with our new layout. The price for the painted maple is around $14k while revamping what we have will be $7500+ (depending on labor time).

I don't really know what I'm asking here since you aren't looking at my kitchen, house, cost of living area, LIFE....but I'm typing while I'm thinking. I originally didn't want to go over $10K in my budget because I'm not adding value to the home, really, just function to the kitchen that a buyer or appraiser probably wouldn't notice. Plus, we aren't selling anytime soon, so resale doesn't matter anyway. Clearly, though, with either option, I'll be going over $10K easily, considering I still have to replace floors and countertops, plus some small electrical and plumbing jobs.

I guess one question I'd have for you is - do you wait to get what you want, or make the changes you can now so you can USE the function you need? You know, now that I see what we can do, I want to put a sledge hammer to our kitchen TODAY.

Where do you draw the line in your budget and where should you be flexible/realistic? It's not like I'm trying to decide between 2 sinks, but major aspects to a working kitchen! I'm not sure I'll ever be able to convince my DH that we should get all new cabinets when these are fine, but I'm also disappointed that modifying what I have (which I don't *love* but would be fine with if it wasn't still more than half the price of getting all new cabs) is still way over what I thought in my head it would cost.

Part of me is thinking I just wasn't realistic to think I could do anything for $10k or less from the beginning. The other part of me thinks if I go up to $15k, I'll just go to $20k with the next decision and it will get quickly out of hand. All parts of me seem extremely high maintenance.

I am all over the place with this post. Maybe I'm just tired. I think I just wanted to live in this utopia world where the decisions would be easier.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County