SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alex9179

Harvey remodel. My dream HAS to be a reality, now!

alex9179
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello!

My modest house is in disarray and we've been displaced. While we wait for rebuilding funds, clean up, and let it dry out, I thought to put my old kitchen diagram up to see what the TKO minds thought. I'll be able to re-measure starting Monday, if there are inconsistencies.

Family of five w/ kids aged 13, 12, and almost 10. Everyone likes to be in the kitchen but not everyone is doing a job. I'd like to get them all working ;) so work zones that allow more than one butt at a time would be great. They do like to help,. It just takes longer and the zones were in one spot.

I'm the main cook, and like to work alone, but the reality is that people gather in there. I participate in Cookbook of the Month, Baking book of the quarter, etc on Chowhound. I love to play with new ways of doing things and new flavors. My kids are pretty adventurous eaters, and they eat a LOT. I baked bread weekly and prepared 1-2 meals a day.

We have an overnight guest about once every 2 months. We don't entertain couples or larger groups frequently but when we do it's casual. Saying that, I use my china (nothing is a full set) once a month or more because it's pretty and makes a meal special. I have a lot and want a dedicated spot for it with some display space for some pieces. I have some gorgeous ironstone pieces, as well. Though these are usually used decoratively.

We have a small dining room that we ate dinner in every day. There is a header and half wall between it and the living area that can come out. I'm happy to use it for every meal. I don't care if there's an eating area in the kitchen, or not.

Regarding windows and doors. Now is the time to re-think their placement. The existing window over the sink has brick on the exterior. I look west at a privacy fence. The sliders face north and have Hardi-plank. There is a deck out the sliders that needs to be removed but the view is of the backyard and very pretty. I'd rather have a patio due to maintenance of wood in a coastal area and connecting with the backyard in some way is very important. My kids are out there a lot. We all are when the weather is nice. My husband loves to grill.

I don't care if the sink is near a window but I'd like more natural light in there, overall.

I don't care about an island and I liked the pantry closet.

Appliances I love and desperately want to keep are 30" Bosch induction cooktop, 27" Gaggenau wall oven, Electrolux icon all fridge. Also have a working Kenmore upright freezer that was in the laundry and very handy for us. I love my 33" Silgranit single sink (could be laundry sink) and had bought a 15x15 version to replace the bar sink, but it and the new faucet are not installed. My Bosch d/w is toast. I think that I'd like two. We always had a bunch to hand wash because we had filled the d/w. I have a small m/w that we use to melt butter and steam veggies but wouldn't miss it. I use our Breville Smart Oven several times a week for kid lunches, reheating, and as an extra oven for sides and plate warming. I wouldn't mind an ice maker but it's not a must. A combi-steam is looking very attractive.

The wall between the kitchen and dining/family is load bearing. Since we're doing a whole house remodel, I'd rather not put our funds toward moving it.

I like Ikea cabs and am pretty sold on them with a store in Houston for access. I'm considering aftermarket doors, though.

I'm going to investigate taking over the 4th bedroom for our master bath and laundry since all of the bedrooms are on one side. We do use it for an office and overnight guests but I've been convinced that daily use makes so much more sense.

In brief...

House is on a slab and about 1980 sq ft. Kitchen is 23' long and 13' across at the widest point by the sliders.

Family of 5 who are always in the kitchen

Total re-think of the work zones and without moving the load-bearing wall, if possible

This is a work space for me most of the day

More light, more function, not married to symmetry, want to get to backyard from kitchen or family room, keep costs down due to entire home needing work.

I'm begging, here. I'm at the tedious stage of dealing with a natural disaster. Finding temp housing for the next few months, waiting for FEMA adjuster, finding a contractor, replacing cars, thinking about money etc. Working on this will help me focus on a positive outcome...I hope! Thanks for any help.

Some interior pics pre-flood, old oven and sliders to the right. 7 ft ceiling that can be raised to 8 ft.

Laundry to the left of the fridge. Counter closest has bar sink at the other end.

Tall windows on either side of the fireplace (which can be shrunk in width and hearth removed) The one, or both, could be a door. Two kid rooms on the right off of that hall beyond. Straight is main bath, left are guest room then master on an L orientation to the main rooms. I'll post a full floorpan, later.

Comments (16)