SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renea_pomeroy

starting lean to addition on existing porch slab

Renea Pomeroy
last month

We are going to build a lean to style addition on our existing cement porch slab (so same footprint and similar roof slant). I'm at the beginning stage of deciding how I want it to look so we can determine framing for windows. I'm stuck because our house is so plain, and the entrance is on the straight roof edge side, and I don't know how to make it look better versus worse. So far, I plan to add a "false peak" onto the addition roof to add interest and not have both roofs straight across (I'm including a photo idea below). The door will need to go on the left side wall where the walkway approaches. This will leave the front wall of the addition with no door, just windows. While I love the idea of windows all the way across to make a sunroom, that will not allow me to maximize the indoor space. So I'm looking for advice on the size, style, and number of windows that might make this look good. I'm open to adding shutters on the upper level and addition, but due to the window placements and differing sizes of windows on the side of the house, I have never been sure if that would look good. You'll also see there was a little one story bathroom addition on the side of the house, and I'm hoping this addition won't make the house look more "jumbled together". I'm also including some pics of sunrooms with the roof shape this will be, but I can't figure out how to reduce the number of windows and have it look good. Also, with less windows, I have to determine whether the outer walls be white siding, or some other material. Any advice at all? I have always struggled with how to make this house more interesting, but I don't have much to work with. The first two pics are my house, then the false peak idea, then inspiration photos. The last one with green siding is not the right roof style, but shows windows spaced a little bit further apart with more siding showing. Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (5)