SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erinlhoward

Pls help - Rework existing floor plan or addition?

erinlhoward
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We have been in our home for almost 5 yrs, and during this time have been considering whether to add an addition or rework our existing floor plan. Basically we would like to have an open kitchen and medium - large sized family room. We have young children and like the look and feel of having both rooms open together and have lived in both open and non open floor plans. I have created my own sketch of our current floor plan. Right now, our kitchen opens up to the dining room, which we have made a temporary open concept small family room. The original family room of the house is right off the garage and side entrance, with doors on 3 walls and a fireplace on the 4th wall and isn't that large, so there really isn't space to accommodate a couch etc. So, we have made that our temporary formal dining and a mud room area. We have a formal living room that isn't open to the kitchen and is never used. This room has a small sunroom off of it. I am completely stumped with how to rework our current floor plan to accommodate an open kitchen, family and dining room. I would consider a Family room addition off the kitchen, but I think we are really limited with space to do that because of the location of our septic and basement bulkhead (included in my floorplan pic). If anyone has any suggestions on how to best maximize our space for an open concept kitchen, living and dining I would love to hear your ideas! We don't have a need for an additional formal living room, dining room (or the sunroom for that matter) but we do need a decent mud room nook or area in addition to the kitchen/LR/DR as we live in NH and have harsh winters, Thank you so much in advance....

Comments (25)