SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

Pictures of the woods and garden: winter/spring in the hills

Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
last month
last modified: last month

I got out the old smartphone DD gave me when she bought a new one, remembered how to start it--after most of a year, it started--and went out and took some photos. They're not very good (though I tried), but I hope they give an idea of what it looks like around here on the cusp of spring.

Squill and the foliage of Cyclamen hederifolium under the persimmon in front of the house. The squill wandered in from somewhere and began to spread; the handsome fall and winter foliage of the cyclamen will last until the arrival of high spring and dry warm weather.

'Archduke Joseph' getting ready to bloom, and the still-bare hills beyond. All the warm climate roses are flowering much earlier than before climate change began to make itself felt.

Garden hellebores and early daffodils in the handkerchief wood just below the house.

A sprouting acanthus, the dragons of the perennial plant world. They make yard-wide clumps of ferocious foliage, and equally fierce stalks of flowers, then die away in the winter.

A nice patch of sweet violets, which grows everywhere, pretty and fragrant; tough, too. The foliage is also fragrant.

I'm going to post this, then continue. I tried to submit a post last night, but lost it, so am submitting fewer photos this time, at what I hope is a less busy hour.

Comments (15)