SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Paint colors for listing house in West Los Angeles

Lars
last month
last modified: last month

We plan to list our house in West Los Angeles (Westchester neighborhood 90045, specifically), and our agent has told us that she wants us to paint the exterior of the house white and all interior rooms white.

Agent told us that prospective buyers are most likely to be a young couple with a baby and will be moving from a condo in Marina Del Rey, Santa Monica, Venice, or Playa Del Rey and cannot afford houses in those neighborhoods, which are all considered Silicon Beach, along with Westchester.

We recently painted the front exterior teal, which we love (and so do our neighbors), and we also had our dining room/studio area and adjoining hall painted Sherwin Williams Tempe Star SW 6229 in December 2023, and we love it. We had storm damage in August 2023, and our insurance paid for the renovation of this room, and we paid to put a new roof on it.

Here's how the front of our house looks now:

and here is how the dining room/studio looks

None of our furniture will be staying, except for the pendant fixture

I do not want to paint the teal exterior white unless I absolutely have to, and I also want to leave the dining room as it is, since the paint is new, and I think it adds character. Our agent said that the room would look larger if it were painted white (which I think is boring), but the room already gets a lot of light because of the glass sliding door to the back yard and the skylight.

She also wants us to list the house at $151,000.00 below what she thinks it should sell for in order to start a bidding war. I would rather start at $100,000.00 below fair market value.

We will be moving out completely before listing, and so the agent will stage the house, although we will have to pay for this also. I am in no hurry to sell because we already have the house that we will be moving into, but the agent wants to try to sell it within 7 to 10 days.

Should we paint everything white?

Paint the exterior white and leave the dining room as is
Paint dining room white and leave exterior as is
Leave exterior and dining room as they are
Paint exterior and dining room white

Comments (197)