SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
legomom23

Recipes with Frozen Vegetables

legomom23
3 months ago

I need to eat more vegetables, but for some reason when I buy a lot of fresh ones at the store, they end up going bad. I'd like to have a bunch of frozen veggies on hand and some good recipes to use them in. Any suggestions?

Comments (57)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 months ago

Do you like green smoothies?

legomom23 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • deegw
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Spinach, arugula and grape tomatoes last a relatively long time in the fridge. We often have garbanzos and grape tomatoes with oil and vinegar or lemon as a fresh side. Trader Joes has frozen fire-roasted bell peppers and onions which I throw in a lot of stuff. I don't usually care for frozen bell peppers but the TJ's version has a nice texture.

• Related Discussions

frozen vegetables

Q

Comments (1)
    On my end, I might just take another trip out to the Home Depot and buy a new bunch. I'd hate to spend a season on plants that might be stunted from early frost damage. Especially considering how cheap new plants can be aquired for. Now that being said, don't listen to me. Hopefully some expert growers will chime in and tell you that they'll come back. Fact is, tomatos grow like weeds in most places. One last note, and you may know this already. It you're in that situation again, cover those young plants up. You can use a bucket, hay, a cloth or whatever... Good luck on your garden, I'm sure it's gonna be great!
    ...See More

Frozen vegetables....your use?

Q

Comments (27)
    I keep frozen peas, green beans and corn in the freezer all the time. Corn, is from the farmers market, that I freeze myself. I chop green, red and yellow peppers for winter use too, but also as a time saver. It's nice to be able to grab what I need, already chopped. To go with our New Years ham tomorrow, I'll be making creamed red potatoes and peas. The peas will be from the freezer, no other choice, we have to have our "peas for prosperity"! Another favorite here is peas and peanuts. All that is, is frozen peas with about an equal amout of salted redskin peanuts and a little mayo to bind. You don't cook the peas, just rinse in a colander under cold running water. This is a local favorite from a very nice resturant that has been in business for about 40 years. Just thinking about it is making me hungry for some... Frozen corn I sometimes doctor with a little hvy cream and a pinch of sugar. Brussels sprouts are another veg that I pick up frozen in the winter, especially when fresh is really expensive or when I'm just plain lazy. Plain with butter is fine, but make a very tasty side dish with B sprouts, maple syrup and bacon. Add a chopped apple if you have one that needs to be used. Yummy! Nancy
    ...See More

recipe: bh&g website has recipe for rice w/vegetables

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi everyone. I just thought I'd post this link to a recipe I found on the BH&G website that looked good. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to make it this week if I have the chance. It's the second recipe down on the page. I hope you will enjoy it. Here is a link that might be useful: Rice With Mixed Vegetables
    ...See More

Frozen vegetables

Q

Comments (12)
    Lots of reasons but the top 5 probably are: 5) Boxes are more easily damaged/crushed and result in more waste for the stores 4) Bags protect from air penetration better than the boxes, even though most of the boxes are plastic coated, which of course affects their ability to break down. 3) Bags stack better in the freezers 2) Bags will usually take less space in the freezer so it's more cost effective to keep the product. and the #1 reason: 1) Bags are cheaper! I seldom buy frozen. I like canned better and they keep better too. But I never tried the rinsing. Good idea. Have to give that a try. I like being able to take the portion I want but generally with a can it's two servings or a full can goes into a dish. I'm surprised they haven't started using bags for milk and other liquids around here, but I'm glad they haven't.
    ...See More
  • Lars
    3 months ago

I like to add frozen vegetables to rice that I am cooking. I cook the rice about half way before adding the vegetables, and then I carefully bring the rice back up to a simmer and then turn it off. I normally do this with a pressure cooker, in which case I cook the rice under pressure for three minutes, take it off heat and wait for the pressure to go down, and then add the vegetables, which have to be stirred in. I do not like to return the pot back to pressure because the rice might stick, and it needs to be stirred every minute or two after the vegetables have been added.

I like to have vegetables this way because they retain their heat better and are easier to reheat. I generally add soy sauce and butter to the dish.

legomom23 thanked Lars
  • Judi
    3 months ago

Spinach, arugula and grape tomatoes last a relatively long time in the fridge.

I'm lucky to get a week from spinach and arugula. I find both fairly perishable. Chard, on the other hand lasts much longer.

I never put tomatoes in the fridge. They sit in a bowl on the counter.

legomom23 thanked Judi
  • deegw
    3 months ago

It's probably my dry climate that allows spinach and arugula to last longer in my fridge. I purchase the organic boxed version. If I left ripe grape tomatoes on the counter they would shrivel up in no time.

YMMV

legomom23 thanked deegw
  • Judi
    3 months ago

I will say that fresh from the garden arugula or purchased at the farmers market lasts much longer.

legomom23 thanked Judi
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 months ago

I really like frozen turnip greens and always have some in the freezer.

legomom23 thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • teeda
    3 months ago

Frozen broccoli and spinach are great for quiches and egg bite cups. I like to keep frozen peppers and onions on hand to throw into anything. I've also made simple currys with frozen vegetables, curry or vindaloo pastes and coconut milk. Serve with rice and naan bread.

legomom23 thanked teeda
  • njmomma
    3 months ago

Frozen Edamame is great microwaved, seasoned with a bit of olive oil and seasoned with smoked paprika, really any seasoning of your choice. Makes for a great snack.

legomom23 thanked njmomma
  • arcy_gw
    3 months ago

Frozen vegis roast nicely in the oven. Broccoli and brussel sprouts are our favorites. I avoid the vegis with sauces--that's just a lot of empty calories that are mostly chemicals of who knows what origin. Sort of defeats the good of eating vegis.

legomom23 thanked arcy_gw
  • Fun2BHere
    3 months ago

@legomom23, here’s a link to Ina Garten’s Cauliflower and Carrot puree. No reason you couldn’t leave out the carrots and just use more cauliflower. Ina Garten’s Carrot and Cauliflower Puree

legomom23 thanked Fun2BHere
  • Olychick
    3 months ago

Not frozen, but I recently bought some Kung Pao brussels sprouts from Trader joes in the veggie section - with a fairly long shelf life + yummy. Their microwaveable asparagus also has a decent shelf life. They have some good frozen veggies, too. I prefer organically grown veggies, but these are nice to keep on hand. I find if I wash greens and keep them in my salad spinner, they last remarkably long. Or transfer to a tupperware or glass container with a silicone lid, put a cloth or paper towel on top and invert the whole container so any moisture drips down off the greens.

Rainbow peppers last forever in the refer for me, as do brussels sprouts.

legomom23 thanked Olychick
  • Judi
    3 months ago

I've never seen the Kung Pao BS, but I do buy BS at TJ's on a regular basis. My latest way to fix them is roasted and then tossed with a cababrian chili honey sauce. I use TJ's Bomba sauce for the chilis.

https://www.traderjoes.com/home/products/pdp/italian-bomba-hot-pepper-sauce-061934

legomom23 thanked Judi
  • bpath
    3 months ago

I like to throw into a stir-fry whatever vegetables I have on hand, from the freezer or from the crisper, new or leftovers or about-to-go-bad. Leftover coleslaw mix especially usually ends up in a stirfry especially a shrimp.

legomom23 thanked bpath
  • Bunny
    3 months ago

I'm not much of a frozen veggie fan, except for corn, but TJ's frozen artichoke hearts are awesome. You don't get all the water found in canned hearts, and you can take out a few or as many as you like for a stir fry or frittata, quiche, etc.

legomom23 thanked Bunny
  • legomom23
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you for so many great ideas. I think stir fry options could be a win. I did something like that for lunch today, and it was OK. Definitely needs some sauce tweaking. I just added some soy sauce and sesame oil but it didn't have a lot of taste and it was pretty dry. I love the idea of cole slaw mix stir fry. The cauliflower and carrot puree looks good. Carrots keep a long time and I roast those a lot when I have them left over.

I do like smoothies, but more in the summer I guess. I've never added any veggies to them other than greens though.

I love roasted veggies but I've never really had any luck roasting frozen ones. Is there a trick?

I don't have a Trader Joes, or even a grocery store that reliably sells arugula. Sometimes I can find a mix that includes it. That's a great idea though. I love arugula.

A couple weeks ago I made some really good vegetable soup and froze some leftovers and had that for dinner tonight. I read about these silicon souper cubes on the Big A, those are a real game changer for me! My leftover soup was so good.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 months ago

I use frozen for almost any reason that I'd use fresh - there are exceptions, of course, particularly when a frozen version is more expensive than fresh, or a frozen version isn't really practical - like for green onions.

I have successfully frozen fresh green, especially the firmer ones like kale, turnip and collards, when I can't use a bag up quickly enough. I will often use the frozen greens to top a pizza - just crumbling the frozen leaves straight onto it. I also freeze fresh herbs, mushrooms and ripe avocado (with a squeeze of lime or lemon juice).

I love to keep the frozen stir fry mixes to wok with shrimp or fish; and Kroger sells mixed vegetables with beans (I don't mean tthe classic corn-pea-carrot blend) that I like to heat up and top with cheese for a meal.

legomom23 thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • deegw
    3 months ago

High altitude and low humidity beg to differ with the generic instructions for food storage. If y'all visit I promise to buy the grape tomatoes that morning and not refrigerate them :)

legomom23 thanked deegw
  • maddie260
    3 months ago

I use frozen veggies in soups and stews quite a bit. Oh, I always have TJ frozen haricot vert on hand for a quick veggie side dish.

legomom23 thanked maddie260
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 months ago

The frozen veggies I try to always have on hand are peas, corn, spinach and green beans, which I add to many of the dishes I cook. I will get frozen broccoli occasionally, but don't cook with it often. It's really good lightly cooked with some butter, and I make a sausage and rice dish with it too.

Trying to roast frozen veggies is futile, IMPE - much better to saute them and we especially like green beans sauteed in browned butter with tarragon or basil. I like the whole organic ones from Trader Joe's for that.

FWIW, fresh winter squashes are usually excellent keepers and superior to any frozen stuff I've had - very nutritious too. I just made beef stew today with onions, celery, purple carrots, yellow potatoes, kabocha squash, garlic and corn.

legomom23 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • nekotish
    3 months ago

I usually have frozen petit peas, peaches and cream corn, haricot vert and spinach. I tend to use them more "in things" as opposed to stand alone veg. I was skeptical but my daughters convinced me that frozen brussel sprouts roast well. I also usually have frozen shredded hash browns as I like to use them as a "crust" for quiche.

legomom23 thanked nekotish
  • schoolhouse_gwagain
    3 months ago

Lars, I have been doing the same with the frozen "California Mix" vegetables lately. I cook rice (found a great roasted chicken rice at DG) then add the veggies, plus my favorite stir fry sauce. A real comfort food to me - quick and easy albeit probably too much sodium but yum. It's just that I haven't been somewhere to pick up the froz. stir fry veggies but I will do that soon.

I use frozen peas in my own version of tuna noodle casserole. I cook noodles, drain, then add mushroom soup, tuna, peas, all in the same pan on the stove top. Another go-to when I want something quick. Even better warmed up the next day!

I used to buy the "Steamables" brand of frozen veggies for convenience , but realized one day I needn't spend the extra money for them. Just buy the cheaper froz.veggies and use my microwave steamer to cook them. Takes appx. the same amount of time to cook.

legomom23 thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • Ida Claire
    3 months ago

This is on repeat in our kitchen. It's delicious, beautifully aromatic, and so simple to put together.

African Peanut Stew
    1 10-12 oz. bag frozen chopped onion
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon dried ground ginger
    2 10-12 oz. bags frozen cubed sweet potato or butternut squash
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
    1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
    1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
    1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    2 tablespoons peanut butter
    4 cups veggie broth
    1 bag frozen chopped spinach, collard greens, or kale (or 1 bunch fresh)

Add all of the ingredients to a large pot, heat to a boil, reduce the heat and let simmer for a few minutes. You can cook this one for 5 minutes or 30 minutes, it doesn't matter. I also like to use my immersion blender towards the end of cooking to thicken it slightly.

Serve and enjoy!

legomom23 thanked Ida Claire
  • nekotish
    3 months ago

Another thing I have been buying more often is cabbage. It lasts a very long time and is good is stir fries, soups, salads and I have recently started roasted it as a side veg.

legomom23 thanked nekotish
  • lizbeth-gardener
    3 months ago

I keep bags of frozen cauliflower rice in the freezer. I saute diced onion, chopped or diced mushrooms in avocado oil or EVOO and butter. Then add the amount of frozen cauliflower needed and saute. If I want it more moist I add chicken broth, put a lid on and steam. Salt and pepper as needed. For some reason this seems like a starch to me; I know it isn't, but when I'm planning a meal with a protein, starch and a vegetable, I use this in place of a starch. That makes it even better when I'm trying to lower my carbs.

I love frozen peas and always have those on hand. I can put them in the microwave with just enough water to cover and cook for 1- 1/2 minutes. Drain and add a pat of butter, if desired.

Sweet potatoes, acorn squash and butternut squash keep for quite a while before going bad. I cut acorn squash in half and scrape out the seed cavity, then put them upside down in a 8x8 pyrex dish (or bigger) and add about a 1/2 " of water and bake in oven at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes or until you can easily pierce the skin with a fork. Then turn over and add about a TBLS of butter and a TBLS of brown sugar to each half and put back in oven long enough to melt the butter and sugar. Some people prefer just salt and pepper and butter.

Butternut squash makes a great soup and is also really good roasted in the oven with other vegetables. The trick to peeling a butternut squash is to poke it with a sharp knife in a couple of places, then microwave for about 3 minutes. When it cools off cut it in half, clean out the seed cavity, turn each half upside down on a cutting board and pare the skin off. You will need a sharp parer. And if you need a good parer order the y shaped one from A**z*n. It is the best peeler I have ever used.

Sweet potatoes I usually boil in water like white potatoes and cook extra for leftovers to slice and saute in butter to accompany an omelet or frittita.

Frozen spinach is great for smoothies, soups, pasta dishes, etc.

We also do a quick salad of sliced cukes, garbonzo beans, cherry tomatoes and avocado.

ETA: the peeler is a Kuhn Rikon.

legomom23 thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • Bunny
    3 months ago

nekotish, I’m a huge fan of cabbage, raw, stewed, sauteed, roasted, charred. It’s the best.

legomom23 thanked Bunny
  • ratherbesewing
    3 months ago

I often throw a few handfuls of frozen peas in a rice dish.

When roadting vegetales, I rummage thru the refrigerator for any wilted vegetables (typically mushrooms, red bell peppers, cherry tomatoes) and add to the sheet pan. For lunches, I cook quinoa and add roasted veg on top.

legomom23 thanked ratherbesewing
  • Bunny
    3 months ago

Ida, that stew sounds really good. Have you ever tried sauteeing the onion, garlic, and spices before adding the remaining ingredients?

legomom23 thanked Bunny
  • legomom23
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Ida, that stew does sound really good and just what I was looking for - I can keep all those ingredients on hand.

I also can't believe I missed the crack slaw trend, or deconstructed egg roll. I like cabbage and need to add it to my diet. Also - peas - I don't think I've had peas like that since elementary school. I guess I'll have to revisit those too.

I really appreciate all the ideas. I definitely have some new easy veggie ideas to try!

• Tina Marie
    3 months ago

I do not use a lot of frozen veggies. I do usually have frozen broccoli on hand and a few of the steam packs someone shared. To keep fresh veggies from going bad, have you tried chopping them up in advance? Then it is so quick to use them in stir fries or to roast. Roast veggies is one of our favorites. Do you like cabbage? It seems to last a while. We really like asian slaw. I see that roasted cabbage is mentioned below - I'm going to try that!

I do freeze green beans rather than home canning and those are good to have on hand. Lots of good ideas on this thread!

legomom23 thanked Tina Marie
  • Lars
    3 months ago

To add more flavor to stir fried vegetables, add some ginger (fresh or from a jar) and some garlic, which has to be fresh. I keep ginger in the freezer, but I also like the convenience of the jarred ginger, and it works for me in many recipes, especially soups.

legomom23 thanked Lars
  • Trapped
    3 months ago

To make fresh spinach last longer, I layer it with paper towels in those clear square boxes it comes in.. I buy the make a size paper towels. I dump all the spinach out on a clean counter and then put 1/2 sheet paper towel at the bottom , add about an1 1/2 inch of spinch, then another 1/2 sheet of a paper towel and so forth until all the spinach is back in the container. And for vegetables like broccoli, I wash and cut them into smaller florets , store in a zip lock bag and loosely throw in a paper towel. Same with cauliflower. Throwing in the paper towels keeps the excess moisture from building up. That is what causes the vegetables to go bad faster. Make sure to get as much air out of the bag as possible.

legomom23 thanked Trapped
  • bbstx
    3 months ago

I like to keep Dorot frozen minced garlic and frozen minced ginger on hand. It is frozen in 1 tsp cubes. Trader Joe’s carries it. Walmart used to, then stopped. It comes closer to fresh tasting than the powdered stuff or the jarred garlic, to me.

I had forgotten about Egg Roll Bowl. I loved it but DH didn’t care for it, so I stopped making it.

I buy all sorts of frozen greens to use in Emeril’s Southern Braised Greens. The frozen greens must be picked over to remove the big stems. I omit the beer in the recipe. I’ve never learned to like the hop-py taste of beer.

• legomom23
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I'm going to the grocery this afternoon and will look in the freezer section, but I don't think I've ever seen frozen sweet potatoes, squash or ginger in our local stores. I feel like I have seen kale. But, maybe I just haven't been looking for those specific veggies. We'll see that I find!

I like any vegetable roasted, but have never tried to roast cabbage. Just never thought about it!

I like the idea of doctoring up riced cauliflower with some chicken broth as a side dish too. That's a great and easy idea I hadn't considered before.

This has been super helpful. Thanks again for all the ideas :)

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 months ago

I use frozen almost all the time except in summer. I tend to cook the southern vegetables. English peas, corn, lima beans, field peas and green beans. They are great frozen. I almost always buy broccoli and cauliflower fresh. Carrots and potatoes fresh. Tomatoes fresh or canned for soups.

Do not buy the little steam fresh crap they are trying to sell. Buy the big bags of plain frozen vegetables.

If you can, buy or grow fresh in the summer and freeze yourself.

• pricklypearcactus
    3 months ago

Oh I forgot that frozen green peas, corn, and green beans are quick and easy to blanch. Bring water to a boil, chuck the veggies in (one type or a mix if you like). Return to a boil. Continue to cook for another 1 or 2 minutes. Then drain. Toss with butter or olive oil and salt and pepper. Yummy.

legomom23 thanked pricklypearcactus
  • bbstx
    3 months ago

Have you ever tried mashed cauliflower? It is often used as a mashed potato substitute. The linked recipe uses fresh cauliflower, but you can substitute frozen on a weight to weight basis.

My local grocery carries frozen butternut squash. I’m not a winter squash fan, so I have no idea if it is good or not. They also carry frozen yellow crookneck squash. I love yellow squash, but find that the frozen is often bigger/more mature than I like. I only buy it in a pinch.

ETA: Try not to store potatoes and onions in the same area. Both should be stored in a cool, dark, dry place, but not the same place. The onions will cause the potatoes to sprout more quickly.

legomom23 thanked bbstx
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 months ago

Yes, I do not like squash after it get warts. Frozen breaded okra is fine if you like fried okra.

legomom23 thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 months ago

IdaClaire, I am going to make your peanut soup the next time I make soup, but I will substitute pumpkin, which I have an abundance of in the freezer.

legomom23 thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • gsciencechick
    3 months ago

I like edamame that comes frozen. That is a great snack. You can steam some in the bag even.

I use frozen cubed butternut squash (2 bags) in the Giada Beef and Butternut Squash stew recipe. One of my favorite winter meals!

legomom23 thanked gsciencechick
  • Bunny
    3 months ago

I made Ida's soup and it's fantastic!!!

I made a few changes. I sauteed fresh onions with all the spices, used fresh grated ginger, cut back slightly on the cumin. It's really a flexible recipe. A little tomato paste with the aromatics until it caramelized a bit, and skipped the tomato sauce.

I used chicken stock and crunchy peanut butter (TJ's), a little extra because it's so good.

I skipped the chickpeas this time because I wanted to see how the fresh sweet potatoes did on their own. Awesome! Then a whole pack of frozen chopped spinach, although fresh would also be good. Less prep with the frozen. I would definitely include chickpeas next time for added protein and heartiness.

It sounds like I made a lot of changes to the recipe, but I think it speaks to how easy and flexible it is. The spices are warm and comforting and it comes together in the time it takes for the cubed sweet potatoes to become tender. A little immersion blender and it's a wonderful soup/stew.

I have a lot of leftovers and I'll bet it will be even better tonight after the flavors have had a chance to marry. Had I not used chicken stock, it would have been vegetarian/vegan and gluten-free.

Thanks, Ida, this is a keeper.

legomom23 thanked Bunny
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 months ago

Well, I don't think this is why you're asking the question. I do use frozen vegetables exclusively in making a beef vegetable soup. I use a mix of seasoning vegetables that includes onions/pepper/ celery, then also green beans, dark leafy greens, okra, butter beans, and corn. Canned tomatoes.

It's one of the soups I keep in the freezer all the time.

• legomom23
    Original Author
    3 months ago

@bumble - That’s exactly the type of recipe I’m looking for! if you have am actual recipe for that, please share.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 months ago

Lego, I don't have an actual recipe, but here's what I do. I cut up a couple pounds round steak into little cubes and brown them and then simmer them in a giant stock pot with homemade chicken broth, yes, a couple cans of tomatoes. Tomatoes I usually use fire roasted, garlic, salt and pepper and a little Italian seasoning. Cook until the beef is tender. Add big picsweet bags of all the vegetables you like. Add more broth if necessary. That's it. Cook for about 45 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.

brown the beef in batches in a saute pan, then transfer to the big pot and deglaze the pan. I might do this five times.

The beef takes several hours to cook.

• Judi
    3 months ago

Ida's African Peanut Stew reminds me of a recipe I first tried years ago. I've made it with spinach and chard. Delicious with either. I like to add a squeeze of lemon juice just before serving.

https://spryliving.com/recipes/african-peanut-stew/

• localeater
    3 months ago

I probably have plugged this soup before, but I made it for lunch yesterday so it is top of mind. You could totally use frozen broccoli and onion. Jane Brody’s Curried Broccoli Soup

• Bunny
    3 months ago

Judi, I added about a tablespoon of lemon at the very end to brighten it up. I tend to rely on Mediterranean herbs so these warm spices were a welcome change.

• Feathers11
    2 months ago

I'm going to bastardize Ida's recipe further with almond butter instead of peanut butter (because that's what I have). The spice combo looks amazing.

Legomom, I don't buy many frozen vegetables, so don't have much to share. But I'm quick to freeze fresh vegetables if I find I won't consume them on time. Last month, I planned a bacon and leek soup for friends, cleaned and prepped the leeks, and then had to cancel the get-together at the last minute. I would never have eaten all the leeks on my own, so I froze them. I plan on using them for soups and frittatas soon.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

I always add frozen green beans to chicken & rice, and they're good layered in with baked scalloped potatoes too.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!