SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

A funny little mystery

rob333 (zone 7b)
23 days ago

So I have my seedlings out on the back porch, because it's nice and cool and rainy.

When I came out this morning, I saw something white on top of the end planter. Once I got there I was shocked.

HOW?! Did it drop out of the sky? Did some animal drag it up there without disturbing anything else? Why a dry bone? It looks like it has been in the weather for years. I would understand if a squirrel was digging up the spot to put a nut in my garden, but nothing was disturbed.

😯

Comments (24)

• maddielee
    23 days ago

Is that part of your porch covered? If not, a bird may have dropped it.

If it is covered, some really big rodent may have given you the gift.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    23 days ago

Squirrels and other rodents chew on bones and antlers for the calcium and other minerals they contain. My guess is a squirrel drug it up there.

• eld6161
    23 days ago

I'm guessing it was dropped too.

• JoanMN
    23 days ago

Kind of creepy. Hopefully, it's an animal bone!

• Fun2BHere
    23 days ago

Yikes! That would not be something I would want to find just outside my door.

• orchidrain
    23 days ago

Weird. On a side note...I'm very impressed with all your seedlings. You must be planning quite the garden.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    23 days ago

There is an uncovered pergola over it. My yard is full of squirrels, so I still think it's a squirrel.

Thank you for the compliment on the seedlings it's probably about half that I typically do. Gardening is what I do all year long. I'll even get outside and weed when it's raining.

My current picture that's keeping me moving towards planting out.

• nicole___
    23 days ago

😂 Some type of critter has given you a gift. A really BIG gift of epic proportion in the animal kingdom. You should feel included and special. Me...I'm always freaked out when I'm given dead gifts.......but hey...that's just me. 😂😂😂

• palisades_
    23 days ago

Your lucky day! Burry it deep in the flower bed and enjoy the goodness comes months later.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    23 days ago

I've had crows or ravens (only a few of those around, they look like crows on steroids 😊) drop things in my yard and on my roof. Wish there weren't so many crows in the neighborhood, they raid the robins nests and those of other birds too. Someone not too far away must be feeding them, I find bread and stale rolls in my bird bath and have to clean it.

I was reading in my back yard on a chaise one afternoon and heard 'thump' only to find a pork chop on the ground right next to me. A cooked pork chop that a crow had only nearly missed me with.

• Patriciae
    23 days ago

There is a ledge right next to it so presumably the varmint walked along that with its bone which I diagnose as Turkey thigh because what else has that sponge like structure inside and is that big? Perhaps it intended to bury it there. A raccoon if you have those might be toting around a bone. They could reach that spot from the stairs. Still they would tend to dig about on speck so probably not.

• roxsol
    23 days ago

At least it was old and dried out. I had this left on my fence a few months ago. I believe it was what was left of a hawk attack.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    23 days ago

That is gnarly rox! Y'all are entertaining me with these stories.

I'm thinking of putting it in the middle of the yard so the critter can come back and get it. I didn't trash it. There are steps that they come up sometimes. I expected it to at least sort of have the dirt disturbed on the containers there, but no. Maybe they got interrupted before they had a chance to bury it

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    23 days ago

Evidently a squirrel felt you needed more bone meal in your mix.

tj

• Fun2BHere
    23 days ago

@roxsol, ugh!

• petalique
    22 days ago
    last modified: 22 days ago

Crows will leave gifts.

PS Just saw your post, morz8!

• Jay Foursee
    22 days ago

I don't know about the bone, but you may want to investigate why some of your seedling containers have this green hue to the top of the soil. In my experience either they're being overwatered, or the soil mix doesn't drain properly and is waterlogged, or the compost that was used was unfinished. Whichever one it is, it's not a good sign.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    22 days ago

Jay,

All my seedlings are very healthy. If there's something green, it's your monitor because there is nothing wrong with them.

Do you mean the leaves? I have no issues. There have been years I have, but not this year.

Maybe it's your imagination?

You seem to have one that blooms....

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    22 days ago

Different time of day and up close. Right this moment

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    22 days ago

Dream on dude. Dream on

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    22 days ago

What is it about you that you can never stay on topic, and everything you have to say is so negative? What is your issue Jay?

You complain about us being welcoming to you, but you don't welcome us????

• Jay Foursee
    22 days ago
    last modified: 22 days ago

I was talking about these. You can see the soil surface is green, probably algae, it's generally a sign of severe overwatering, or lack of drainage causing the soils to stay soggy. I was just bringing it to your attention, it's not intended as a negative. Algae is not necessarily harmful, but soil that is too wet can certainly harbor pathogenic fungus and lead to damping off etc.

Being that the rest of your plants look good, I would surmise the soil mixture that was used in these 6-packs is not draining properly, or has too much peat moss and retains too much water.

• lily316
    22 days ago

That bone is crazy. I suspect a crow. I love crows and would like one as a pet. They are so super smart and can figure out puzzles. A woman began feeding one peanuts and saying hello and in a few weeks, the crow would come and sit on the fence and literally say hello many times.

• socks
    22 days ago

The thread is about the bone. Rob didn’t ask what we thought of the gardening.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms
Best of Houzz 2024: The results are in!