SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresatree1

Need to pick a TYPE of flooring, HELP! Vinyl/Laminate/Hybrid?

teresatree
3 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

We need to replace our carpet and linoleum/vinyl flooring, as it's almost 20 years old and looks it! We have some engineered hardwood in two rooms we will be leaving, as it's in OK shape. For the rest of the house, we are looking for something that will last a long time, as we probably will not be doing any more flooring after this, as we are 60, so it's got to last! We need advice on which one is best for a busy home with animals and lots of foot traffic and will last. We have been looking at some flooring and it is very confusing. The first place we looked at their vinyl and laminate and their vinyl was more expensive than their laminate. The next place we went to they said that what they need to put underneath the flooring makes the laminate more expensive than vinyl. The third place we went to had some new type of hybrid flooring! The flooring will not be going on concrete, we have a basement and in the southeast of the US. Under our existing vinyl and carpet, we think there is some kind of builder-grade sub-floor with some Luan under the vinyl. In our rooms with the engineered hardwood, our floor was not perfectly level and you can see it in there more than anywhere else in the house. We think the sub-floor got too wet during the build, as there were some extended delays. This is going to be a BIG expense for us. The most we have spent since we lived here, and I don't want to make a mistake, as our savings will be gone and we will have to live and die with it. If you need any more information just let me know and I will add it. If more options meet our needs that I have not considered, please let me know. I will probably make another post to pick out the color after we settle on the type. Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)