SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerlorisc_ia

need help with laminate floor install

gardenerlorisc_ia
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Back in 2014 I had a dishwasher leak which destroyed all the subfloor in the kitchen, dining room, bath and laundry areas. I tore out all the flooring, had someone come in and replace sub floor and a flooring store do the install of the high quality laminate in the dining room and kitchen. I love the easy care and hard wearing enough that I am finishing the living room, hall and office with the same flooring. The flooring store knew I was planning to do the rest of the flooring when the funds came available.

Now 2 .5 years later I am doing the remainder. The tongue of the last ones put in in the 8 foot wide doorway between the dining room and living room is what is facing out with it being half way into the doorway. My live-in handyman ( haha) says he has to put in a T molding there rather than join the tongue and groove and also has started at the far end ( east) of the living room rather than start in that doorway and cut where he needs to when he gets to the edge of that doorway. So, that means I will have a narrow cut piece in the middle as well as the far edge ( width-wise) rather that just one narrow cut laminate board at the south wall. I hope I wrote that so you can understand it.

He was a drywall installer for most of his life and he thinks he knows all about construction but I am enough of a DIY'er that I can tell bad workmanship from good and have had him do things over that he did wrong. Plus, he is careless rather than careful in his work. Example: leaving boards and carpet tack-strip nails up on the floors when we walk there and the pets do, too. Luckily, nobody stepped on anything before I came along and picked them up. He is an accident waiting to happen.

I am 68 and he is 70 and he is here rent free to do odd jobs; unfortunately it is not working out to my satisfaction. I could do it myself; I do have all the tools myself.

In your opinions is the way he wants to do it the correct way or is the home owner ( me) correct? Am I being too b*tchy about wanting my house done my way? You won't hurt my feelings if you tell me I am wrong. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Edited to add: The width of the dining room and living room total 31 feet and the living room itself is 25 x 15. Is that wide enough that I need an expansion joint ( with that T molding) between the dining and living rooms.

Comments (9)