SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
min_pat

Close off dining room from entryway or how to separate open areas

maria sela
3 months ago

I have an open floor plan, I think its too open in my main dining room area. From the front door, you can see the whole dining room area and also my kitchen area (which I do not like at all). I would like to close off the entryway by building a wall between the two areas or is there another way to make the dining room more separate?

Currently my dining room only has one main wall and the other wall with windows, it doesnt feel like a formal dining room or a room at all. We dont usually use it, because it feels too open and not personal or a place to sit down and have dinner.

For now, we use our dinette area to have all our meals. I would like to use this dining room as a place to relax at the end of the day, but currently since the dining room faces our entryway area, it doesnt feel like a place to eat meals.

View of dining room from front door, below. The painters tape is where I might build a wall or create a partition or place a console or something to hide the view of the kitchen from someone standing in the entryway area.

View of dining room/entryway from kitchen area. The double glass doors is the office area. I will be chaining out the curtains, along with lowering the height of the curtain rod.

Any ideas for simple modern molding / millwork ideas for the columns would also be appreciated

Thanks!

Comments (9)