SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magdalenalee_gw

Separate Dining Room w/ Trimmed Opening?

MagdalenaLee
9 years ago

I've been thinking about doing this for a while now and really need to have my ducks in a row before presenting it to DH since he will be doing the work.

Our home is open concept - kitchen, dining and living rooms are completely open to each other. Our dining room (we only have one) is open to the kitchen much like a breakfast nook would be. I'd like to break up the space by adding a trimmed opening to the dining room which would then allow me to paint the dining room a different color. My preferred color is green because I have these gorgeous fern botanical prints that are not living up to their full potential where they currently live.

As you can see in the below pic, we have trimmed openings all over the house so what I want to do would be in keeping with the rest of the house:

Here is the dining room currently:

Here is my photoshopped version with the trim against the ceiling. Does that look weird?

Here is my photoshopped version with a header wall and trim. I'd like to not do it this way since it will require more work. I've seen large beams coming out of the ceiling without a header wall that looks really good so I'm wondering if we could get away with it using trim like we already have.

*That green color is just for visualizing. I don't have a specific color picked out yet.

**Would you paint the ceiling the same color? 10ft. ceiling.

Thanks!

Comments (22)